Railroad Forums 

• VRE looking to acquire Alstom Coradia cars

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1571526  by STrRedWolf

eolesen wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:28 pm
Pensyfan19 wrote:. Makes me wonder if Alstom sold the same animation to VRE.
That's not how it works... nobody gets paid for answering a RFP... as a manufacturer you spend the money to try and win the multi-million dollar deal, and yeah, they'll recycle 90% of what they prepare for other agencies. That's almost expected.
Plus the order became a joint venture between VRE and Metra, similar to what Bombardier Multiliners did with MARC and NJTransit.
 #1571528  by eolesen

I hadn't heard that. Doesn't surprise me, since the requirements for the agencies are so similar. Makes it a lot easier for alstom as well since they don't have to go through multiple RFPs and it is also easier on the agencies because managing an RFP costs them money. It's the proverbial win-win.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1571532  by STrRedWolf

eolesen wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:52 am I hadn't heard that. Doesn't surprise me, since the requirements for the agencies are so similar. Makes it a lot easier for alstom as well since they don't have to go through multiple RFPs and it is also easier on the agencies because managing an RFP costs them money. It's the proverbial win-win.
Reading the board minutes provided some more insights over management of the unified RFP/contract and what alternatives they looked into. Well worth going into.
 #1571544  by Pensyfan19

Is this necessarily public knowledge yet? I can't find any news about it and the video from earlier is private/unlisted (not public or mainstream on youtube). I'm also iffy on covering it for my monthly railway ews series (the Pensyfan Periodical) since I'm not sure if covering it would be leaking confidential information.
 #1571554  by KTHW

It was publicized in the most recent board presentation (April) and as on the agenda for the next board meeting this week. VRE usually publishes meeting minutes and a slide deck from the meeting a few days after the monthly meeting.
 #1571602  by eolesen

Oh, just run with it, Pennsy. Somehow I don't think that letting the dozen or so people who follow you on YouTube will constitute a major leak of "confidential information"...
 #1572059  by davinp

electricron wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:26 pm
davinp wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:56 pm VRE to order 21 cars from Alstom
https://www.vre.org/about/board/board-a ... lcars-pdf/
Yes, 21 trailer cars today, with options for another 44 trailers and 4 cab cars.
They have a total of 100 cars today, so this will not replace all of the existing fleet.
Correct. The Gallery cars are barely 10 years old, so they don't need replacing yet. VRE is just expanding its fleet. They need more railcars to make more 8 car train sets as 100 cars is not enough.
 #1577286  by Pensyfan19

VRE has just made their official video on this railcar public, after it was private/unlisted for 2 months.