Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1571771  by west point

daybeers wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:02 am $1.8b for Moynihan but no benches in the middle of the hall.
But the stations do not need benches ?. Every passenger will arrive at the last minute check their bags with no delay and ride escalators to platform for train that has been placed an hour early.. Believe it or not as Ripley says!
 #1571801  by NaugyRR

There are no benches in the middle of the train hall at Grand Central and everyone seems to manage perfectly fine? There are very nice waiting areas at the new train hall, both upstairs and on the main concourse, for ticketed passengers. The middle of the hall is set up for traffic flow and lining up for train time, and it works very well.
 #1574214  by lpetrich

LaGuardia AirTrain project delayed after Queens congresswoman urges further federal review – QNS.com - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Ocasio-Cortez jumped into the fray soon afterward saying the infrastructure project didn’t make logistical sense, and that a review of documents by the environmental group Riverkeeper showed the case for the AirTrain was “really sketchy.” In a letter to the FAA, the congresswoman asked the feds to “refrain from approving” the project and prevent the Port Authority from beginning construction.

“This project would be built in the heart of one of the most heavily impacted communities by COVID-19, with many community members opposing the development,” Ocasio-Cortez wrote. “It is critical that this project be held to the highest ethical and efficacy standards – and it is clear that has not been the case to date.”
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Thanks to continued advocacy of community members, the FAA announced that they are pausing approval on the LGA AirTrain project. (link)" / Twitter
She then credited several local activist organizations.
 #1581890  by Gilbert B Norman

Yes, LGA Airtrain was Andy's pet, so therefore Kathy must oppose it. So what's new; it's politics.

I'm at a loss to understand AOC's objections. That is her District - and the project means jobs - good paying UNION jobs!!!

Now so far as heading East to head West; the map the NY Post has drawn showing the line running along the perimeter of LGA to the LIRR, that would have far less environmental impact than the displacement of businesses and residents (also AOC's constituents) if a line were built Southwestward to meet with the LIRR.
 #1581952  by Head-end View

I said two months ago that I thought this project should be scrapped because it's a bad plan. My thinking has now changed somewhat and I'm of the opinion that even an imperfect air-train link would be better than none at all. But I guess if the Governor has already scrapped it then it doesn't matter what any of us think. :(
 #1581954  by Pensyfan19

I'm just sitting here, waiting for a 7 Train Extension to Whitestone near most of the former LIRR Whitestone Branch...

Why would a NW extension to LGA not work again? Engineering challenges with the curves and tunnels?
 #1582016  by Allan

Head-end View wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:24 pm I said two months ago that I thought this project should be scrapped because it's a bad plan. My thinking has now changed somewhat and I'm of the opinion that even an imperfect air-train link would be better than none at all. But I guess if the Governor has already scrapped it then it doesn't matter what any of us think. :(
Hopefully someone will come up with a workable plan (someday).
 #1582020  by eolesen

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Yes, LGA Airtrain was Andy's pet, so therefore Kathy must oppose it. So what's new; it's politics.
Nah, it's just a bad plan that the PANYNJ planners opposed all along.

The logical route is to extend the Astoria N/W line or branch off the MNRR east of Sunnyside and run along the GCP. It can't all be elevated because of the runway approach, so something will have to give near the southwest corner of the airfield.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk