Railroad Forums 

• Richford VT Traffic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1571037  by nydepot

So Newport is lacking traffic now. Is it better in Richford? I see cars at a feedmill and yard. Thanks.
 #1571144  by F74265A

Are you saying no rail customers remain in Newport or that cp and wacr no longer serve Newport?
 #1571146  by nydepot

They go there but my understanding from reading various forums is traffic is light. So for the Newport Sub, I was wondering if a train was more likely to run Farnham to Richford and return.
 #1571183  by F74265A

My guess is that cp has little, if any, interest in Newport sub and would be happier without it. Since they own the d&h north, the route into northern New England is unfortunately duplicative and there is little industry or local traffic in northern VT.
 #1571193  by NHV 669

Charles, I believe the Richford customers are served by the Newport crew. M-W-F seems to be somewhat steady days for them, although as you pointed out, rather short trains.
 #1571474  by NHV 669

CMQ didn't exactly drum up any new online business on this stretch either, it's the bridge traffic that helped them and VRS. CP hasn't done anything other than eliminate the middle man they no longer need to get the cars to points further west and south of Albany.
 #1571506  by F74265A

The line had 3 main functions, none of which are unfortunately currently relevant.
1 provide a passenger link on cp between Boston and Montreal
2. Connect cp mec bridge traffic over the mountain division
3. Connect cp B&M bridge traffic

No Amtrak svc bos-mtl + ownership of d&h to Albany makes this line redundant. Which is annoying. I hate wasted rail assets, like the UP TN pass or the old southern mainline from Asheville south over Saluda grade.

I’m near certain that any return of bos-mtl passenger svc in the future would move on the old CN/GT north of WRJ.
 #1571539  by BM1566GP7

Does Poulin Grain and the forest produicts company in Newport still use rail? If so, is CP providing the service?
 #1571587  by Red Wing

F74265A wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:45 pm The line had 3 main functions, none of which are unfortunately currently relevant.
1 provide a passenger link on cp between Boston and Montreal
I thought the line was for the Quebec City passenger trains. Guess you learn something new everyday.
 #1571655  by F74265A

There used to be a 2d line from Canada in to Newport. It was the former Quebec Central that ran north to Sherbrooke and Quebec City. That’s all ripped up. The remaining CP line heads northeast to Farnham and Montreal.
 #1571659  by Shortline614

Wasn't CP going to sell the line to the Vermont Rail System or was that just another baseless rumor?