Railroad Forums 

• "Points Guy" takes the train

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1571478  by STrRedWolf

Ken W2KB wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:34 pm Very interesting. I've traveled from New Jersey to New Mexico several times over the past 20 years, by SW Chief. Stayed in Santa Fe, altitude 7,200 feet and Taos, almost as high. The food in the restaurants was incredibly delicious, altitude not withstanding. I now wonder if the chefs compensate accordingly? Airline passenger cabins are usually pressurized to 8,000 feet equivalent, only 800 feet higher than Santa Fe.
They're pressurized at 8K but the air is much dryer at above 10K (over cloud cover). I think they're trying to keep as much juicyness in as possible.
 #1571483  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Wolf, I can recall an Attendant passing out the Grape Juice in Business Class saying "one up here is two down there". I was well advised to heed her words.
 #1571489  by John_Perkowski

Amtrak once was a voyage. Now, it’s half a step above mega bus. When I pay the price I do for a bedroom (Pullman Compartment), the hospitality industry has moved the bar very high these days, and Amtrak has not kept up.
 #1571504  by lordsigma12345

Just half a step above mega bus? That’s quite an exaggeration. Even regional coach on Amtrak is way more comfortable than intercity bus and on a longer trip not sure how you can say a private room is only half a step better than a cramped bus seat where you are crammed next to a stranger. Whether the room is worth the money is another manner.
 #1571515  by Literalman

I've ridden Megabus many times. From Washington to Philadelphia, I preferred to pay much less money for a slower, less comfortable trip. Amtrak is a lot better but costs a lot more. As for flying domestically, I still cringe when I think of my trip to the Philippines last year. Six flights, with trips through a metal detector and being told to hurry up after I passed through and have to scoop up the contents of my pockets, which I had emptied, carrying my shoes, holding up my pants with maybe one finger because I had to take my belt off too, and looking for a seat to put myself back together while also toting my carry-on bag. Ugh. I would take Megabus rather than save time by flying domestically. And I would prefer Amtrak in any case. I just save my money and points mostly for Amtrak trips that don't have a good cheap alternative for short trips. Washington to Philly, Megabus is OK for me. Washington to Boston, I ride the train always.
 #1571553  by Ridgefielder

David Benton wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:05 pm Memories get a bit rose tinted. I would say some of the meal's in the good old days weren't that good either.
In the good old days a lot depended on the carrier. The New Haven, B&O and IC all took pride in the quality of their food (the B&O even operated the only RDC dining car I've ever heard of.) The PRR and the NYC, not so much.

For what its worth, even at the zenith of American rail travel in the 1920's I don't think most dining car departments turned a profit.
 #1571556  by Alphaboi

Food service has always been a loss leader. Just like on pre-deregulation airlines it was an amenity designed to attract customers since ticket prices were regulated.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk