Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1571292  by Head-end View

Thanks nyandw! As a 12 year old, I spent lots of time standing at the B'way and Jerusalem Ave. and Marie St. (by the firehouse) crossings looking at the old tower and watching those Alco engines in your avatar and the crossing watchmen at work around the time the elevation project began. So I remember how the area looked. Good memories. :-D
 #1571300  by Pensyfan19

nyandw wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:58 am You are correct. The photo is labeled correctly on my site. The text had my typo SW rather then SE. Good eye. First one to catch it in over a decade! :-)
Towers:
Babylon
Brook
Lead
Valley
West Side Yard
Thank you for clarifying. Are Jay and Dunton still in operation? Do you have any photos/information about West Side Yard Tower?
 #1571302  by nyandw

Pensyfan19 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:27 pm
nyandw wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:58 amYou are correct. The photo is labeled correctly on my site. The text had my typo SW rather then SE. Good eye. First one to catch it in over a decade! :-) Towers:
Babylon
Brook
Lead
Valley
West Side Yard
Thank you for clarifying. Are Jay and Dunton still in operation? Do you have any photos/information about West Side Yard Tower?
Standing, but not in operation
Jay
Hall
Queens
Locust
Divide
Dunton
B
Nassau.

I have nothing on West Side Yard Tower, anyone?
 #1571361  by gamer4616

Brook tower is no longer a manned tower. Both the block operator and yardmaster have been re-located to inside the Atlantic Terminal crew facilities.

West Side Yard is not so much a tower, as its part a building that houses a repair shop, crew facilities, etc... The control room has the yardmaster and block operator side by side coordinating train movement.

PSCC (Penn Station Central Control) is a building in Manhattan where there are LIRR block operators work with Amtrak dispatchers.

Manned towers would be:
Lead
Valley
Babylon

Towers still standing, used by other crafts
Brook
Dunton
Jay
Hall
Queens
Nassau
Divide
Harold

Standing, but unused?
B
Bliss
Port

Pond tower is now used by NYAR
Locust tower is now used by the Nassau County Police

There are roustabout moves that will contact "Q tower" on their way to Arch Street Yard. That would be an Amtrak tower, but LIRR crews will contact them if going to Arch Street yard.

The mid-day storage yard, just east of Arch Street yard (Northwest of sunnyside yard) is going to house a block operator and yardmaster (so I'm told). The building can be seen looking east from Queens Blvd as it crosses over the yard.
 #1571362  by gamer4616

Divide
Nassau
Queens
Jay
Hall
Dunton

Those have all been re-located to a centralized location known as JCC (Jamaica Central Control). That is located in the air train building in Jamaica.