Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1570963  by Bracdude181

Something isn’t right here. I chased OI-16 to browns and there is no sign of 4452 or 4432. Only 4429 is here...

I will take a route home that stays close to the Southern Secondary. If I find anything I will report back on what I see.
 #1570995  by Bracdude181

Good friend of mine just caught the train in Farmingdale headed back to Browns. Symbol and car count unknown. 4452 should be leading.

Edit: Repairs were made to the track where the derailment occurred. New ballast was applied but due to poor lighting I couldn’t see the full extent of the repairs.
 #1571050  by cx4storm

@ GSC You are correct. This is copied from the 2013 Conrail TImetable Number 10. Page 66:

NOTE 3: Restricted Speed not exceeding 10 MPH for the leading end of movement between
MP 43.61 (Route 18 overhead bridge) and MP 44.0. Signs not displayed. When movement
over Stavola Road Crossing (MP 43.8) is required, extra precaution must be taken
to avoid derailment or accident. When necessary, the engine must be used to cut the
flange ways at the road crossing before the train proceeds. If operating conditions are
such that the engine can not be used and the car(s) must be shoved over the crossing,
under no circumstances will an employee ride on the car over the crossing. Employees
on the ground must be alert and prepared for possible derailment.

Source: http://multimodalways.org/docs/railroad ... CR%20ETTs/

The last file at the above page named: CSA ETT #10 7-1-2013
Last edited by cx4storm on Mon May 10, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1571102  by Bracdude181

@cx4storm I remember that part in the timetable. What’s strange is in the two and a half years I’ve been watching trains on this line, not a single crew has stopped at that little crossing within Stavola. Regardless of who they are or what symbol, no one has stopped there at all....

Is that why they derailed there? The tracks between Wayside Rd in Tinton Falls and Main St in Farmingdale are arguably the worst section of the line.
 #1571116  by RailsEast

The derailment occured about 100 feet north of the Stavola crossing. I was granted permission to view the site; in fact the 5 Cranemasters rigs used that crossing to access the side lot where they staged to do their work. Something happened in that curve to cause the accident.

And.....riddle me this, railfans, there are 2 or 3 dozen freight car trucks on the property of Brick Recycling today...how did they get there? They didn't arrive via Conrail...are they from Earle? That's an awful lot to come in by truck, although it could have happened.
Very mysterious.....
 #1571126  by Bracdude181

@RailsEast Those have been there for at least three weeks. Many of them are Journal Box trucks. The only place nearby that had a lot of of trucks like that (to my knowledge) was the Pine Creek Railroad. Some of the trucks appear to be narrow gauge from a glance..

Earle may have had a clean out recently if the trucks came from there. Unsure what they’d need a whole bunch of trucks like that for.
 #1571261  by Bracdude181

It’s that time of the week again.

CSX 4432 with CSX 4452 today. Car count to follow.

CSX 6228 replaced 4429 as well. Really hoping that leads soon. My all time favorite engine!