Railroad Forums 

• Timetables - offline flavor

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1562531  by farecard

I was looking for current PDF timetables on the NHV-SPG but can't find same.

There's a link to

Get downloadable schedules for all routes

and that takes me to

Northeast Corridor 2
Boston / Springfield - New Haven - New York - Philadelphia - Washington

but I see no schedule link.

???

{ps: were there any WAS-SPG trains?}
 #1562542  by shadyjay

If there was a link posted under Northeast Corridor 2 (it used to be there), it would direct you only to the COVID service adjustments page, listing the routes operating on adjusted schedules. Because of the amount of changes within the past 10 months to Amtrak service in the corridors, they didn't think it was relevant to post a "schedule PDF" since that could change at any time, and that if a website visitor wants a schedule, they can instead input the stations on their own and get the most recent information.

So, at this time, no there is no PDF timetable for any Northeast Corridor service.

And yes, there still are at least one WAS-SPG thru train. Its usually in the 140-series. There used to be two, and the Vermonter. Most trains have you switch at New Haven and take a "Hartford Line" or "Valley Flyer" train.
 #1562543  by WashingtonPark

farecard wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:29 pm I was looking for current PDF timetables on the NHV-SPG but can't find same.

There's a link to

Get downloadable schedules for all routes

and that takes me to

Northeast Corridor 2
Boston / Springfield - New Haven - New York - Philadelphia - Washington

but I see no schedule link.

???

{ps: were there any WAS-SPG trains?}
AMTRAK has been awful with this since Covid. There are no schedules at all on the website. You either have to punch in your cities and take what comes up, (if it's a day the train isn't running nothing will) or call AMTRAK. They seem to go out of their way to make things difficult.
 #1562570  by Backshophoss

ON some of the VRF cams,scroll down the page to a link that has the 3 a week schedules on the LD's,also there will be a direct link to the Amtrak "Train Tracker" page
 #1562592  by urr304

Well, in Amtrak's defense, the airlines and Greyhound do not have schedules readily available to make plans. They all want to direct your travel options. There are many reasons including security concerns. You can not make wild plans like some of us did years ago, certainly do not run down to gates anymore, you will be seated for long periods.
 #1562803  by CVRA7

I think it is poor customer service not to offer printable timetables to their customers. The airlines and intercity bus lines took the lazy way out - Amtrak should be better than they are. I'm sure it wouldn't be all that expensive for Amtrak to offer printable timetables again on their web site.
However, for those interested in passenger service on the New Haven-Springfield line the Connecticut Department of Transportation stepped up to the plate and offers a better timetable than Amtrak had as it shows both CDoT and Amtrak services on one timetable - what a concept! Go to www.hartfordline.com to see this. They also have even printed these schedules and had provided them at Hartford Line stations. The most recent issue is dated Nov. 30, 2020.
 #1562805  by Backshophoss

With the exceptions of the Cascdes.NEC,Any of the "Flyers" or "Mules",
most of the LD schedules are online at the website now
 #1570950  by danib62

It seems like all the PDF timetables are gone again.
 #1570961  by west point

You can get timetables printable gong to Julie and typing timetables. watch out because they are combined. Example silvers. Carolinian, and Crescent are on the same link but there are different timetables
 #1570962  by bostontrainguy

I left feedback yesterday that it was impossible to find any schedules. Even if you click on the schedules tab they are not there. Kind of frustrating if you are looking for such information.
 #1570974  by kitchin

west point wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:42 pm You can get timetables printable gong to Julie and typing timetables. watch out because they are combined. Example silvers. Carolinian, and Crescent are on the same link but there are different timetables
Hey, it almost worked! On a laptop, went to amtrak.com and clicked the magnifying glass icon next to search. Julie popped up and I clicked timetables. I selected NOL-NYP and a date range starting today. It was smart enough to make May 17 the last possible end date. I clicked "Find Schedules" and nothing happened. Then ten seconds later or so it says 'can't access property "sysError", l[0] is undefined.'

Some searches do work, like ATL-NYP, but you have to start tomorrow in the search. The unavailable days seem to be the problem. WAS-NYP works. The results do show intermediate stations, but are not PDF and you can't get a full timetable.
 #1571005  by Arborwayfan

I like timetables. You like timetables. Who knows if many other passengers like timetables? Many, probably most, people do all their car navigating by GPS and never use maps; maybe most people feel the same way about getting a transportation schedule. That would make keeping those schedules available a low priority for Amtrak (as it is for airlines, some bus companies, some railroads in other countries, etc.) You and I seem to feel that pdf or printed timetables are something that a train service just needs to have to be doing it right, but our preference might actually be as irrelevant as wanting conductors to wear pillbox hats, as unhelpful as wanting conductors to keep punching tickets, or even as silly as if we wanted kerosene marker lamps.

I would think that pdf/paper timetables would be most likely to help passengers on the NEC and a few other busy corridors (Hiawathas, San Diego-LA) where people are likely to want a quick overview of all the available trains as they are deciding what time to head out/home. I'd think that would be especially true if the fare-and-reservation structure were set up to encourage people to just walk into South Station or Penn Station or wherever and buy a ticket and hop on the next train, instead of squeezing a lot of the potential flexibility out of the NEC and other corridors by offering low advance fares and really high walk-ups, a pricing model that seems to me to fit a one-a-day LD much better than a corridor that's trying to compete with driving.

But right now, where there have been so many changes in schedules, Amtrak might just not want to spend the time and money to make the nice pdf schedules and keep them up to date. If they don't make and upload pdf schedules, schedule changes can be handled by the day in the booking software, and they eliminate the confusion caused by having a pdf schedule that says one thing and booking software that changes it. That might actually be someone's long-term plan, even from before Covid. If there's no pdf schedule, it's much easier to shift trains a little earlier or later in the day to make room for maintenance or whatever; many passengers will never know their train's schedule was changed, because all they'll see if the time they were offered for that day. A good idea overall? I don't know. A practical way to reduce staff time without hurting most passengers? Yes.