Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1570785  by Bracdude181

@Trainfan101 Probably. The engines are trapped on the Southern Secondary until the wreck is cleaned up. Could be a few days before they can get back.

@R&DB The track conditions between Stavola and Wayside Road over there are probably the worst on the whole line. Kinda weird that the engines made it through. My friend believes that a loose load may have contributed to the wreck but I’m not sure. I’ve noticed that over the past few weeks a lot of the cars they’ve been bringing have loads that have shifted. I assume they are putting these cars through the hump yard in Oak Island improperly. (Something C&D will have to contend with)

I’m increasingly doubtful that C&D will make a difference down here. This line is in such a horrible shape, to the point where safety is really starting to be a major concern. Sure the customer service will be better, but there’s so much more that needs fixing and it’s going to take a lot more than a 7 million dollar project to reconnect the line to Freehold and then do the bare minimum of repairs needed to run the Southern safely.
 #1570787  by Bracdude181

@NJTMonmouthCoastLine Whoa way to put me in the spotlight there! Lol

The “old man” is the guy in charge of North Jersey Conrail at the moment. He was originally a track maintenance supervisor for Penn Central. He’s one the big reasons why the Southern has gone downhill in the last two decades, and also one of the reasons why North Jersey Conrail as a whole is practically a dumpster fire now. As NJTMonmouth mentioned, he doesn’t care much for his work and is somewhat apathetic in the way he runs things.

I have mentioned this individual before but not all of the blame is on him. Both CSX and NS should really be more aware of Conrail is doing and be working on improvements. CSX in particular is very upset with Conrail as they haven’t been inspecting cars coming into and out of Oak Island recently. Q300 and Q301 have both had a fair share of bad order cars recently and they were not repaired in Oak Island before being set out again. NS couldn’t care less about what Conrail does unfortunately.
 #1570825  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:26 am @Trainfan101 Probably. The engines are trapped on the Southern Secondary until the wreck is cleaned up. Could be a few days before they can get back.

@R&DB The track conditions between Stavola and Wayside Road over there are probably the worst on the whole line. Kinda weird that the engines made it through. My friend believes that a loose load may have contributed to the wreck but I’m not sure. I’ve noticed that over the past few weeks a lot of the cars they’ve been bringing have loads that have shifted. I assume they are putting these cars through the hump yard in Oak Island improperly. (Something C&D will have to contend with)

I’m increasingly doubtful that C&D will make a difference down here. This line is in such a horrible shape, to the point where safety is really starting to be a major concern. Sure the customer service will be better, but there’s so much more that needs fixing and it’s going to take a lot more than a 7 million dollar project to reconnect the line to Freehold and then do the bare minimum of repairs needed to run the Southern safely.
The grant is Phase 1. There will be a Phase 2 (and probably even Phase 3!) which I believe has been discussed in the grant, as track upgrades/fixing outside of the FIT-Farmingdale connection. Either or, Red Bank-Farmingdale, which seems to be the worst of this line, will see little to no use after Phase 1 is completed anyway, so it doesn't matter how bad the track is there. It will probably be used for rail car storage or be disused until MOM or something comes up again.
 #1570831  by R&DB

The grant is Phase 1. There will be a Phase 2 (and probably even Phase 3!)
John, if you have a copy of the grant, look at the last page, (the spreadsheet) specifically includes some 'Phase 2' items. Have two guesses:
! > any work between Jamesburg and Farmingdale is Phase 1 and work between Farmingdale and Lakehurst is Phase 2.
2 > work to connect Jamesburg to Lakehurst is Phase 1 and Phase 2 is to upgrade the route to FRA Class 1 or 2.
 #1570832  by RailsEast

CSX 4452 lhf with the remaining 7 cars from last night southbound past MP44 at 7:15 in the pm.
 #1570833  by R&DB

RailsEast wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:37 pm CSX 4452 lhf with the remaining 7 cars from last night southbound past MP44 at 7:15 in the pm.
So they got they got them re-railed?
 #1570835  by RailsEast

Cars were re-railed by 9:00 am, track dept. finished up at 7:00 pm (probably 2 dozen new ties, removal of broken rail and replacement of that section or sections), train departed at 7:15 pm. About 25 hours from start to finish, a very impressive effort by all involved. Unknown if rail itself broke or was broken by cars derailing.

Conrail MOW supervisor on the scene relates that the cause of the accident is under investigation. No further information at this time and I will not speculate about the cause. Let the higher-ups decide what happened and what needs to be done to prevent another issue.
Chris
 #1570837  by CharlieL

@R&DB, Bingo on #1.

The spreadsheet shows the bridge in Lakewood is to be refurbished in Phase 2. Also seems to indicate the rails pulled and replaced in phase 1 will be used in phase 2 . Also more wood ties replaced in phase 2 than in phase 1.

I think the purpose is to get everything reconnected and minimally serviceable in phase 1, take over the line, and hopefully make more customers and money, then upgrade the neglected parts.
 #1570900  by RailsEast

No.

For those who could not get to the scene, feel free to visit my play-by-play photo collection here (not sure why rrpa did not put them in actual order, but you'll get the idea).

http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/arc ... ?id=140462

Photos taken with permission. Thanks to Conrail MOW Supervisor DC and to the 31 crew for their good nature and indulgence. Thanks also to MG & RA for the communication.

This could easily have been a very ugly scene, so thanks also to JCP&L for placing that transmission line support right where they did; it may have kept 2 or more cars from really hitting the ground.

Be safe out there,
Chris
 #1570913  by David

Chris--Thank you for the good report and pictures. It makes this thread very informative!
 #1570928  by GSC

Great pics. Thanks for posting them. I read somewhere that trains on the Southern were to be extra careful around Stavola, as their private crossing's flangeways are often filled with sand. and to "step carefully" in that area, having the lead locomotive "test the waters" if necessary. I wonder if this area was the culprit.

Responding to Bracdude's comment a couple pages back about the team track by Asbury Road, there was also trackage in and around McDowell's asphalt plant. Those machines and tanks arranged in a circle were once surrounded by a track that matched the circle. There was also another team track north of Asbury Road where mostly hoppers with aggregate and asphalt tankers were spotted until switched around inside McDowell's. Not long ago, the Synergistics plant across from the Auction had three tracks each with six covered hoppers there. I think the cars were for storage as I don't remember seeing them move. Satellite views show the tracks still there, extending to the removed switch to the Southern.

I believe my father was a closet railfan. We'd go on those "let's go for a ride" years ago and we always found ourselves near a railroad somewhere. Saw lots of action. I remember being at the Auction and seeing CNJ JS-1 (I think) south/westbound stop at the Auction for lunch. Power was an RS3 mu'ed to a SD35. Wish I brought a camera back then.