Railroad Forums 

• PRR K4s 5406 second round of questions

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1570783  by RGlueck

I wrote an extensive article on 5406 for the PRRT&HS journal, "The Keystone". It appears in the latest edition and I believe has been reproduced on Steve Lynch's LIRR website. Trying to locate several objects:

Does anyone remember the late Mayer Perlman, who was a member of the LI Sunrise Trail NRHS in the 1960's? Mayer owned the keystone plate off this locomotive. I am trying to get contact with his heirs to find out what became of the artifact. Is it possible Mayer might have sold it or given it to another railfan?

5406 wore a Baldwin builders plate, construction number 59788. Again, trying to track the artifact down, assuming it might have survived scrapping. Photo of 5406 on scrap line July, 1957. She was sold as commercial scrap in April, 1958.
 #1586505  by RGlueck

For those unaware of it, and with exceptionally deep pockets, the bell off PRR 5406 (LIRR's own K4s) is up for sale on eBay. Be ready to shell out - are you ready for this- $4995.00 to own the bell, yoke, and boiler mount. I have already expressed the idea that it is better to give than receive, especially around Christmas. The seller apparently has declined to donate it to me! Perhaps he should re-read his Dickens?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403300709081