Railroad Forums 

• New Lyndhurst Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1570967  by pumpers

The headline says it cost $31.5 M. The article at the beginning says they got $30.9M from the Feds (implying NJT paid under $1M?), and later the article says the construction contract was $18.5M.
Whatever the real answer number is, I am always boggled by what public construction costs. How big is the station, perhaps a few thousand sf? (plus 4 elevators, platforms of course, but still....)
JS
As a side note, I looked up the construction company (Anselmi & Decicco) and see they are on Springfield Ave in Maplewood, less than a mile from the (long gone) Maplewood station ("Hilton", also known as Newark Heights) of the Rahway Valley (near the corner of Springfield Ave and Burnett Ave.) Maybe they can squeeze out some $$ towards rebuilding that station as a local community project, as a step towards restoring the RV. :)
 #1571164  by lensovet

It’s possible that the grant from the FTA was not just for this project but for other projects too.

I did notice on https://www.njtransit.com/procurement/notice-of-awards that “Urban Engineers, Inc” got a 2.8M “project management” contract out of this too. Seems a bit much.
 #1571294  by amtrakowitz

Finally blowing money on this after what, 15 years or so. That destroys the link to bus route 32 at the traditional Lyndhurst station and to routes 76 and 99 at Kingsland.
 #1571448  by amtrakowitz

lensovet wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:08 am …since they are bus routes as opposed to fixed guideway rail, they can certainly be rerouted to maintain the transfer.
It would make no sense to reroute the 76 and 99 off and back on to Ridge Road to go to the new Lyndhurst station. It is also a big loss to disconnect the rail line from having a station on the busy Route 17 artery and moving rail access deeper into the residential area.

Route 32 is possibly unaffected with respect to its routing on Valley Brook Road, though, at second glance.
 #1571473  by lensovet

Are we talking about the same station?

The current station is nowhere near Route 17 and has no parking attached to it. The new station will be adjacent to a park-and-ride, sandwiched between a bunch of commercial buildings, and about 1500 feet from the Kingsland station. It's a 5-minute walk from Kingsland and a 3-minute walk from the current Lyndhurst station. If anything, this will be less deep than the existing station in a residential area, will allow for commuters who want to drive to the station, and will consolidate an absolutely ridiculous density of stations (2 in half a mile? really?) into something more reasonable.
 #1576157  by R36 Combine Coach

A unique station, being a Lackawanna station with a headhouse at street level above tracks. Watsessing is
the other.
 #1582780  by ryanov

lensovet wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:24 am Are we talking about the same station?

The current station is nowhere near Route 17 and has no parking attached to it. The new station will be adjacent to a park-and-ride, sandwiched between a bunch of commercial buildings, and about 1500 feet from the Kingsland station. It's a 5-minute walk from Kingsland and a 3-minute walk from the current Lyndhurst station. If anything, this will be less deep than the existing station in a residential area, will allow for commuters who want to drive to the station, and will consolidate an absolutely ridiculous density of stations (2 in half a mile? really?) into something more reasonable.
That is not accurate. Ridge Road is Route 17 in that area.

There is a small amount of parking at Kingsland station, and there was parking at Lyndhurst station, but the school was built there. The current parking lot is part of the ShopRite complex, which is I believe where the new station will be built.

I actually agree that this is kind of a shame. Kingsland station is unique, and I think anyone who says that a 3 to 5 minute walk doesn’t matter forgets that we as the riders do not control the schedule. That can mean the difference between being able to make a connection and not.
 #1582819  by njtmnrrbuff

You can basically walk between the current Lyndhurst Station to Kingsland Depot. When the upgraded Lyndhurst Station opens up, it will be even closer to Kingsland Station. Yes, it will be built much closer to where the Shoprite is. We have to wonder if how the current ridership is at Kingsland Station? Once the new Lyndhurst Station opens up, if the ridership at Kingsland Station is dismal, then maybe it pays to shut it down.
 #1582846  by lensovet

I think anyone who says that a 3 to 5 minute walk doesn’t matter forgets that we as the riders do not control the schedule
Please fight for better connections and schedule coordination, not commuter train stop distances that are shorter than a city bus line.
 #1588662  by ryanov

Well, they are not. Bus stops are certainly closer together than Lyndhurst and Kingsland are.

I'm not advocating for two close together stations necessarily, I'm saying that when you're on foot and you're connecting, this matters. The 76 has a lot of other connections to deal with. It's not possible to make every connection possible (though I suppose they could shift the whole schedule backwards some). Those stations were both built. You have to figure there was a reason, and there are still reasons today.
 #1588689  by lensovet

ryanov wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:24 am Well, they are not. Bus stops are certainly closer together than Lyndhurst and Kingsland are.
Depends on which bus :)
I'm not advocating for two close together stations necessarily, I'm saying that when you're on foot and you're connecting, this matters. The 76 has a lot of other connections to deal with. It's not possible to make every connection possible (though I suppose they could shift the whole schedule backwards some). Those stations were both built. You have to figure there was a reason, and there are still reasons today.
In this particular case it seems that 76 should simply be rerouted to go into the parking lot of the new station.