Railroad Forums 

• Economics and Thoughts on an Single Level Surge / Reserve Fleet

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1569888  by Greg Moore

west point wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:44 am Many of Amtrak's locations already have spare parts for AM-1s. MIA, JAX, NOL, ATL, CLT, for example.
ATL? Or do you mean ALB?

Atlanta as far as I know has very little but Albany definitely has pretty decent service facilities.
 #1569956  by AgentSkelly

One of the werider places I have been told that has Amfleet Parts by gentleman's agreement is VIA's Toronto Maintenance Centre to service any issues that come up with the Maple Leaf upon arrival. Anything that they don't have as my understanding, is sent ASAP by UPS Sonic Air....
 #1569960  by west point

Actually I mentioned ATL because the Steel siding adjacent to the Station parks the Crescent on the January and February days M - TH each year when NS invokes absolute work window ( AWW ) south of Atlanta, My observation is that the siding would need ground HEP because the Crescent as far as I know uses a P-42 for HEP. Can park ~ 12 - 14 cars there. Stub off that siding capacity is unknown. Those cars would make a nice train for sports charters. ATL surge can meet seasonal high demand north of ATL. Also there is an Amtrak maintenance force there. They can keep up their surge fleet when Crescent not there.

Actually Albany probably can store some cars as well but have no idea how many without plugging the yard ? The point is that there are some stations in the east for storing a few surge fleet each which quickly adds up. Example CLT- when Amtrak in the new station the present Tryon St station has the Carolinian siding for surge cars.

Some locations yes and maybes are JAX - Has space that has been reported storing some V-2 cars now. Savannah and Florence have no idea but Florence is a maintenance force and SAV stores Palmetto. Raleigh - What space does NC DOT have ? Richmond does not appear to have space once additional service from WASH starts. BHM - well the station has ROW that tracks were removed. WASH - no space now especially with transition to Acela-2s but if VRE ever gets its storage yard built then ??? Almost forgot about Minneapolis Midway station.

Will leave the west to others . Note surge cars can with some dancing around couple to the lower level of Superliner transition cars.

Surge cars can be assigned for short distance travelers . Now what about when our wonderful USA drivers try to meet Amtrak trains at a grade crossing ? It may not take long for the first Siemens car(s) to be totaled. Diverse locations for surge cars may be able to cover some damaged trains ?
 #1569991  by Greg Moore

I know the siding you're talking about for Atlanta, but you mentioned spare parts, not storage, hence my question.

If Albany doesn't have enough space currently, adding space shouldn't be too hard.
And probably more useful than Atlanta given the number of trains it handles.
 #1570039  by west point

Greg Moore wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:04 am I know the siding you're talking about for Atlanta, but you mentioned spare parts, not storage, hence my question.

If Albany doesn't have enough space currently, adding space shouldn't be too hard.
And probably more useful than Atlanta given the number of trains it handles.
OK let me clarify. I am thinking of both storage and spare parts at ATL. ATL does have a small ( shed or container ) for spare parts. I am not excluding either Albany, or ATL. The point is store cars where there is places to store a few surge fleet cars. It all adds up. Excluding BEECH I can think of 100 - 140 surge cars can be stored here in the south at various locations.
Now of course there may be some Amfleet and Horizon cars that need to be considered last surge due to extensive maintenance work. A few might be available for surge this summer depending on system demand that none of us can predict now. Once some Siemens cars go into service on trains in and out of CHI.
 #1570145  by gokeefe

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Could there possibly be any National Security benefit in so doing?
Short answer ... No. Having a pool of DOD load rated flat cars in reserve (with proper preservation of components) would be far more significant.

If you're wondering about passenger capacity I would suggest that the entire national fleet of the bus carriers constitute a rolling reserve in the same way that the airlines have some of their capacity enrolled with DOD.

Amtrak's "niche" is clearly large scale evacuation of the infirm or mobility impaired civilians from disaster areas. The New Orleans evacuation prior to Hurricane Gustav was in many respects their "finest hour". No one else can move that many people in wheel chairs or on walkers as fast as Amtrak could. It is a capability that is unmatched by any other mode.

It's a good model for other areas to consider when faced with similar circumstances.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1570404  by west point

Since METRA is going to abandon their yard in Crystal Lake that location could store some surge fleet cars. That would be a location that would have every thing needed water, fence(?), maintenance sheds, HEP ( needed to change to Amtrak standard ) , etc. The ability to store in CHI does have merit.

Since METRA is looking for federal funds to expand to Woodstock get METRA in return to sell to Amtrak for $1.00. Anyone know capacity of Crystal Lake ??
Last edited by west point on Mon May 03, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1570407  by eolesen

Crystal Lake isn't fenced in... it's two tracks to the north and one to the south in downtown. No sheds, shops, or anything but a small office the crews use to deposit cash. There's no real opportunity to develop that land for anything other than more parking.

As for storage... There's room for four 9 car trainsets, and two seven car trainsets plus a single locomotive each. That would equate to about 50 cars without locomotives. I'll comment more about the Woodstock move in the Chicago forum.
 #1570460  by R36 Combine Coach

gokeefe wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:50 am
Gilbert B Norman wrote:Could there possibly be any National Security benefit in so doing?
Amtrak's "niche" is clearly large scale evacuation of the infirm or mobility impaired civilians from
disaster areas. The New Orleans evacuation prior to Hurricane Gustav was in many respects their
"finest hour".

It's a good model for other areas to consider when faced with similar circumstances.
When airlines were shut down after September 11, 2001 the NEC kept rolling and was an essential corridor. Mail
and essential supplies were carried by Regional trains (which still had MHCs for example then).
 #1570465  by John_Perkowski

kitchin wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:29 pm Someone did suggest military bases, which are vast, even after several rounds of base closure and consolidation. This isn't England.
You actually think DOD would store a quasi public corporations equipment. How quaint of you.

They might ... at Hill AFB, Ogden UT. That’s the Air Logistic Center responsible for the DOD railroad fleet.
 #1570466  by John_Perkowski

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:28 pm Mr. Kitchin. I must say I have often wondered what's involved with making any of the "Desert Air Force" airworthy again. Surely there's more than "gas 'er up and wheels up".

By analogy, what if Amtrak were to send the entire 1000 car Am and Superliner fleets off to an "undisclosed desert hideaway" as they are retired. Could there possibly be any National Security benefit in so doing?
GBN: Some aircraft are stored ready and serviceable. Some are in longer term storage and require overhaul. Others are parts supplies.
 #1570481  by Gilbert B Norman

John_Perkowski wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:54 am They might ... at Hill AFB, Ogden UT. That’s the Air Logistic Center responsible for the DOD railroad fleet.
Curiosity seekers, "not welcome" not only when I was on Active Duty at HAFB 68-69 and definitely not when I attempted to return during '14 for a "down memory lane" visit.

Well, the "One Stripe General" at the Main Gate at least didn't have his M-16 in my face. He lifted my Driver's License and had me turn around.