Railroad Forums 

• Railroad taxes supporting NJ public schools

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#1499642  by Dcell

It’s been a good 10 years since so read Grants book about the EL and it’s death but I do recall it stating that the pre-and post merger EL and other railroads in NJ paying the cost of NJs public school system thru the taxes the railroads paid. Does anyone have any more knowledge whether the railroads paid this tax thru the 1960s and up to 1976 when the NJ property tax was established to fund public schools? I find it somewhat incredible that the railroads could pay such an exorbitant tax during a period of decline. And the EL starting getting state subsidies for commuter services around 1966 so I don’t see how it could pay taxes to N J.
 #1499782  by eolesen

That's interesting.

NJ hasn't learned from its own past -- they're about to impose a jet fuel tax that essentially only affects United Airlines at Newark, with the proceeds going to build roads (which may be illegal but that has never stopped the state assembly before)
 #1502468  by CLamb

Municipalities did soak the railroads for many years. Currently, land used for transportation by railroads is not subject to property tax by counties and municipalities however the state does impose a property tax on that land. I don't know when the municipal and county property taxes on the railways were eliminated.
 #1570302  by s4ny

As late as 1965, NJ had no sales tax and no state income tax. Property taxes were levied to support the schools and the railroads were heavily taxed in NJ counties and municipalities.