Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1569582  by ConstanceR46

Hello again. A persistent rumor seemed to have popped up around the time M1 withdrawls started in earnest that they were being shipped off to mexico for rebuilding, for an unnamed commuter rail service.

This is, in my head, without any doubt, a falsehood. However, i'd like to get some sort of empirical proof - does anyone have any photos of the M1s being scrapped, anecdotes of it - or, on the flipside, does anyone have any photos of them being rebuilt? :P
 #1569587  by Kelly&Kelly

Not sure of it, but I was told several were sent to Mexico for scrap as the asbestos-riddled hulks would be more easily disposed there and receive a higher price without the US regulations involved in abating them.
 #1569654  by ConstanceR46

I presume so. I don't disbelieve they went to Mexico, i disbelieve they were sent there for anything resembling a rebuild.
 #1569694  by 452 Card

The first ten were scrapped by Hulcher Services from PA. That program took place at the mini-yard at AH. Two cranes were leased (with operators) to lift the cars onto flatcars modified by a company called Steel Style in Newberg. As the cars were lifted our own wreck crew cut off the truck attachments and rolled the trucks away to be lifted into gondolas onsite.
The rest went to Mexico. When we off-loaded M7 cars at the ramp in Holban Yard, the same 90' flatcars were loaded with the next pair if M1s from the deadline to go. The running joke was "asbestos can only go south". Bombardier arranged for the flatcars to be modified and the shipments to arrive and leave. During the process I saw an email that contained a view of a shop somewhere in Mexico, with piles of seat cushions neatly stacked on pallets, next to the seat frames stacked together, all outside. Never saw the actual cars cut-up, though.
We also tried to get in on the NYC subway endeavour to reef the M1s along with the Redbirds, but that didn't fly.
 #1569702  by RGlueck

They went to Mexico for scrapping. It's a well known fact that poor Mexicans are not subject to the hazards of asbestos removal. Must be the chile pepper consumption.
 #1569724  by 452 Card

Pseudo Wreckmaster
Rare glimpst of the icon at rest
 #1569729  by ConstanceR46

Interesting photos and POV. Hard to believe it was that long ago. If the photo with the email was found, then this whole thing could be put to rest.
 #1569808  by 452 Card

I really doubt that email will ever surface. It was sent to me by another person in the decom group, and I trashed it shortly thereafter when we were told that we could not go to Mexico to see the end result. I know this adds intrigue now, but back then it was just politics and economics. I remember some interior shots showing the sprayed asbestos on the inner car exterior walls, which betrayed some of the interior paneling removed to expose it. I seriously don't think the cars were reconditioned. If so, would there be some pictures or evidence of that? I doubt it.
 #1569858  by BuddR32

Thank you for sharing those pictures. I remember seeing pics of those cars rolling through Hicksville, along with the trucks in the gondolas. .

While its clear the M1s were later torn apart and not reused (we'd see pics of them in use somewhere) Ive heard two stories that maybe you can confirm or provide more info:

1. an Engineer taking these cars over to interchange at / near Fresh Pond went on a track that they didnt belong and the M1s on the flatcars were too tall.

2. At some point an M1 was moved in consist on its own wheels, placed behind the engines before the rest of the consist, and was subsequently broke up due to the pulling forces of the rest of the train.
 #1569891  by 452 Card

I can attest to Number One;
A crew was moving a pair of M1s loaded at the Holban ramp (trucks still on the cars) to Fresh Pond yard for interchange off the property. Not knowing where they were and missing the crossover to access Pond, they tried to pass under the Transit Authority bridge just west of the New Haven overpass. The result was two very rare convertible-model M1 cars. Very collectible! I don't know if the replacement tops are still available. :-D
As for Number Two-
I never heard of any such thing occurring.
 #1570103  by BuddR32

452 Card wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:37 am I can attest to Number One;
A crew was moving a pair of M1s loaded at the Holban ramp (trucks still on the cars) to Fresh Pond yard for interchange off the property. Not knowing where they were and missing the crossover to access Pond, they tried to pass under the Transit Authority bridge just west of the New Haven overpass. The result was two very rare convertible-model M1 cars. Very collectible! I don't know if the replacement tops are still available. :-D
As for Number Two-
I never heard of any such thing occurring.
Thank you. I didnt think #2 really happened. As far as I knew, no LIRR M cars went out on their own wheels.