Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BuddR32

LIRR has no 'heritage units' of any official capacity. Period. Even the old Harold Protects are not, those are just two engines an appreciative boss had painted like that (and got chewed out for) aren't true heritage units.
Likely there never will be any either.
  by Pensyfan19

My friend caught this today. It seems that 519 is apparently a Conrail sticker/unofficial heritage unit. However, Conrail never operated in Long Island (not counting Fresh Pond) and may not be considered an unofficial sticker unit like its LIRR sticker counterparts. 519 also had this Conrail logo for reportedly four years, and I'm not sure how few people noticed this before, so I'll place this here for the records. Does anyone know of any other DE or DM30ACs which have or at one point had stickers like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by ConstanceR46

probably not because that looks like it was drawn on with whiteout
  by NHV 669

What exactly does this unit have to do with Conrail, besides a poorly hand-made logo someone applied on the cab? CR was already over by the time this unit was built.

A 3''x5'' doodle doesn't make it anything other than the LIRR locomotive it was built as. Let's stop with this "unofficial heritage unit" foolishness over someone's unapproved alterations to the exterior.
  by eolesen

NHV 669 wrote: Let's stop with this "unofficial heritage unit" foolishness over someone's unapproved alterations to the exterior.
Agree. This isn't Foamers.net -- let's get back to the adult table conversations.

Kids, you can listen and learn, or go foam themselves crazy over on YouTube and Facebook.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

by Pensyfan19

I'm just interested in recognizing these exceptions which makes an otherwise common (and at this point only) locomotive class on the present diesel roster stand out, even if they're not official. It gives us railfans something to look for. Ex: "Keep a lookout for 404, it has a 1980s Meatball Logo on its front. See if it's still there."