Railroad Forums 

• Tickets with debit/credit/cash balances at botton left?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1569502  by GirlOnTheTrain

The bottom ticket is also a Metrocard on the reverse - but given some guestimation based on the fact that a peak fare between Islip and Penn in 2021 (not that they're charging peak fares these days) is $19.75, there probably was no value encoded onto the card by LIRR based on that transaction price. Someone who has fare tables from 2006 can correct me, but I'm working off the educated guess that then a peak fare was $15 each way.

Also - metrocards printed on railroad ticket stock are hot garbage.
 #1569508  by nyandw

GirlOnTheTrain wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:38 pm The bottom ticket is also a Metrocard on the reverse - but given some guestimation based on the fact that a peak fare between Islip and Penn in 2021 (not that they're charging peak fares these days) is $19.75, there probably was no value encoded onto the card by LIRR based on that transaction price. Someone who has fare tables from 2006 can correct me, but I'm working off the educated guess that then a peak fare was $15 each way. Also - metrocards printed on railroad ticket stock are hot garbage.
Yes, $15 each way. What is "..hot garbage.."? Thanks
 #1569566  by Erie-Lackawanna

Well, yes...but the LIRR/MNR non-comm tickets printed on MetroCard stock are only good for certain MetroCard values, and not as unlimited use cards, so practically speaking, you’d probably use the value up and throw it away before it disintegrates.

Commutation tickets are printed on real MetroCard stock, so wouldn’t be called “hot garbage.”

Jim
 #1569571  by GirlOnTheTrain

Monthlies are the same metrocard stock as all railroad-provided metrocards, so yes - they are garbage. Paper with a thin layer of plastic to reinforce it. Get it wet or look at it crosseyed and it's no good. Unless it is a true calendar monthly metrocard - an option on commutation tickets, though less commonly used than the no value or $25/$50 options - I would make it a point to transfer it onto a normal card so passengers would be less likely to have issues with it.

Now back to your regularly scheduled LIRR programming - before I take this in a NYCT direction anymore than I already have.
 #1569662  by MACTRAXX

Steve and Everyone:

The current LIRR (and for that matter Metro-North which uses basically the same TVMs) ticket sales system
was introduced 20 years ago-in 2001.

Tickets show: Method of Payment, Price Amount, 4 Digit Card Number (Credit/Debit Sale only),
Time of Purchase (24 Hour Clock), Machine Number, Device Transaction Number and Stock Number
(Should match number at top left). MC4 on the 2006 Metrocard indicates that there is $4 in Metrocard
value placed on this card - the Peak One Way fare for this pictured card was $13 times two=$26 +$4= $30.

The machine number combines the LIRR station number with the type of TVM/TOM in service:
40101 in Islip - 401 is Islip's station number; 01 is a full-service (all ticket types sold) TVM.
1290 in Penn Station - 12 is Penn Station's station number; 90 another full-service TVM.
LIRR two and three digit Station Numbers have been in use for decades in ticket sales.

Using current LIRR/NYCT fares a Peak Round Trip Ticket on Metrocard stock for a Zone 1-Zone 10 fare
would be $19.75 times two=$39.50 + $6.50=$46 (two NYCT fares $2.75 each with a $1 Metrocard fee)
All ticket buyers have the option of purchasing LIRR/MNCR tickets on Metrocard stock for transit rides.

This should offer some insight to this subject-MACTRAXX
 #1569834  by nyandw

I think the P means “peak fare” and, as it’s round trip, each conductor would punch the P (i.e., one P for each trip). On other tickets on your site, note the “S/D” standing for senior discount.

The numbered blocks would be for the initial conductor and subsequent conductors to punch for their segment of the trip. E.g., conductor #1 from Islip to Babylon punches #1, conductor on the Babylon to Jamaica leg punches #2, conductor on the Jamaica to NYP punches #3. Based on my experiences commuting where the “flash” monthly tickets had numbered blocks, conductors only punched the tickets periodically (perhaps on a “punch day” dictated by Jamaica HQ).

Anyone riding the LIRR these days that could offer observations based on experience?
 #1569946  by Kelly&Kelly

The numbered blocks are indeed for occasional random ordered "punch days".

When crews called for orders and messages they were told to "punch block 2" or whatever. It was never announced before time. The intent was to force crews to actually handle "flash" tickets to assure careful examination, and to prevent one ticket from being used by many different people on a single day. Most forgeries back then were photographs, and the paper would be felt by the trainman. The practice also prevented passengers from handing a ticket from one to another on the same train.

In later years, the policy was corrupted when "punch days" were announced in advance.

I know this because I designed the concept in 1981.
 #1570122  by MACTRAXX

Steve - There are two distinct current LIRR ticket types here in this discussion:

1-Monthly tickets have numbered punch blocks that are serviced on random "punch days" as defined by K&K.
Current Monthly tickets on Metrocard stock have four blocks numbered 1-2-3-4.

2-Current One Way and Round Trip tickets have a strip of seven orange punch blocks across the upper right
numbered 1-2-3-4-5-6-7. These tickets are serviced in this manner: Eastbound 1-2-3; Westbound 7-6-5.
1-Establishes East Direction; 2-Junction Point (Jamaica, Etc.) 3-Destination (cancels ride or ticket)
7-Establishes West Direction 6-Junction Point (Jamaica, Etc.) 5-Destination (cancels ride or ticket)
The 4 block is not used.

This should end any confusion between these ticket types...MACTRAXX