Railroad Forums 

• Long Beach / Atlantic Branches Changes

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1568809  by awtprod

I took a trip on the LIRR this past weekend for the first time in over a year. I noticed that new signals were being installed at Lead interlocking. They were still bagged, so I couldn't tell what type they were. I swear they had two heads, but I could be wrong. Are they installing RAS? I can't find any information about this online.

I also noticed a new interlocking was created just east of the viaduct into Jamaica. I don't understand why this was done. It's so close to HALL. I would think having it between Locust Manor and Laurelton or between Laurelton and Rosedale would be better.
 #1568842  by gamer4616

awtprod wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:03 pm

I also noticed a new interlocking was created just east of the viaduct into Jamaica. I don't understand why this was done. It's so close to HALL. I would think having it between Locust Manor and Laurelton or between Laurelton and Rosedale would be better.

The crossover switches just east of Jamaica will be part of the new Beaver Interlocking (located by Beaver Rd). This will allow more flexible routing. As of now, Atlantic 1 can access the top half of Jamaica (Tracks 5D-5 Station) and Atlantic 2 can access the bottom half of Jamaica (4 Station - 9 Track). With the new Interlocking, you can access most of Jamaica on either track.

I don't know of the long term plans as far as East Side Access and the proposed Brooklyn scoot. Having all Brooklyn trains running as a scoot off tracks 11/12 has been talked about. Maybe the thinking may be that all Long Beach/Far Rockaway trains off of tracks 4/5 and Mainline/Montauk trains using 1-2-3 going west and 6-7-8 going east?? I know the plan is for more parallel moves for quicker routing.
 #1568847  by Head-end View

Taking an educated guess, the new signals at Lead are probably conventional position light signals. I don't think they're converting to RAS one interlocking at a time, but more likely long sections at a time, like the Farmingdale to Ronkonkoma project and (hopefully not) the Floral Park to Hicksville project.
 #1568894  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

The LIRR has a signal upgrade program affecting the Far Rockaway and Long Beach Branches scheduled
for the weekend of April 17-18, 2021:

http://web.mta.info/supplemental/lirr/a ... tation.htm

Service to Locust Manor, Laurelton, Rosedale, Valley Stream and all Far Rockaway Branch stations Gibson
through Far Rockaway and Long Beach Branch stations Lynbrook through Long Beach are served by buses
during this program.

Babylon Branch trains will serve Lynbrook stopping at Platform A along with added Freeport trains.
West Hempstead Branch trains will run through from Jamaica (first stop Westwood) to West Hempstead.

This topic is the perfect place to post this two day signal upgrade program information instead of creating
a new one just for this post...MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1568935  by krispy

Crabman1130 wrote:From what I read they are installing standard color light signals, not reduced aspect signals.
Ironic as the first color light signals on the LIRR (outside of the FBA and PSNY tunnels) were at the old Lead before the 2nd bridge was put in.
 #1568942  by gamer4616

Crabman1130 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:57 am From what I read they are installing standard color light signals, not reduced aspect signals.

They are installing standard color light signals (as you would see in Patchogue for example). No more manual block for trains running left-handed. Speed controlled (410) territory with 261 in both directions on both tracks.
 #1569099  by awtprod

Thanks for the replies! I'm guessing the new signals were cut over this weekend?
That's great to hear that manual block has been eliminated! I suppose this will make broken rails on the branch less painful.
 #1569236  by Head-end View

You can see the new color-light signals from the crossing at Island Park Station. I don't think there are any other crossovers or wayside signals anywhere else on that branch, but if anyone knows different please correct me. :-D
 #1569353  by krispy

Head-end View wrote:You can see the new color-light signals from the crossing at Island Park Station. I don't think there are any other crossovers or wayside signals anywhere else on that branch, but if anyone knows different please correct me. :-D
No additional signals or switches on the branch. There had been a cross-over decades ago by the power plant to take coal, but that's long gone.
 #1569381  by Jeff Smith

Curious... if these two services are to become "scoots" or "dinkies" from Jamaica after ESA opens, could they isolate and switch it up to light rail vehicles? Would that make sense?
 #1569399  by Kelly&Kelly

Ten years ago there was a consensus that Brooklyn-Jamaica service would be turned over to the NYCTA and operated with subway equipment. That seems to have lost interest and we're back to the LI operating it with LI crews and equipment.

There was also serious consideration of an East Side Access Operating Authority running trains into that new terminal, circumventing the Long Island's labor agreements. Another political football which has taken a back seat to more pressing problems now.
 #1569426  by Head-end View

K&K, re: the proposed East Side Access Operating Authority, wouldn't that have required all Grand Central trains to change engineers at Jamaica? That would be an interesting complication. I can just imagine the friction between the engineers of two different unions.
 #1569458  by Kelly&Kelly

re: the proposed East Side Access Operating Authority, wouldn't that have required all Grand Central trains to change engineers at Jamaica?
No, the Grand Central-bound trains would operate from their eastern terminals essentially by a different railroad, with East Side Access RR crews, which would not be LIRR employees but be qualified on its tracks. Essentially two separate railroads, crew books and employee pools.

This would be the same as NYAR operates today. The LIRR unions gave up "exclusive use" of LIRR trackage when the BLE permitted a foreign railroad to operate freight here with its own crews. The story of how this rule was given up by the union is a sullied and pathetic lesson in union mismanagement.

The Carrier would thus be relieved of its contracts for some 38% - 52% of the operation. Lower wages, no pensions, minimal benefits, no work rules.

One more tool the State can call should it ever seek financial efficiency.