Railroad Forums 

• Alstom to Retrofit some M7's into Battery EMU's (Was:M7s at Oyster Bay!)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1569057  by Pensyfan19

About one hour ago, in what appears to be the most unusual, rarest and greatest consist to ever travel on the Oyster Bay Branch, three MP15ACs have been spotted pulling two M7 Multiple Units heading towards Oyster Bay for what I have so far heard to be for a clearance test. If I'm not mistaken, this could very well be the first time any electric equipment has gone anywhere north of East Williston on this branch. Does anyone have any further information regarding this historic move, as well as possible uses of it? Electrification to Oyster Bay, maybe?

Here is video footage of this movement.
Last edited by nomis on Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: edited thread title with additional info
 #1569093  by MACTRAXX

PF: I watched the video - which was at East Williston - and to me this looks to be checking or testing the
third rail between Mineola and East Williston in some manner - look closely at the small arcing from the
third rail shoes as the M7 car pair passes by in the video. Just above East Williston is an electrified cross-
over track where MU trains would turn.

The only train(s) that used the Mineola-East Williston third rail was AM Peak train #1501 deadheading to
EW for the run. This train was eliminated beginning with the January 25, 2021 timetable. With this segment
of third rail not used for almost three months at this post it was time to check on the third rail's condition -
and/or this could mean that train #1501 could be back with a subsequent schedule change.

There would be no real point to bring these two MU cars past the end of third rail.
Why did the LIRR need three MP15s for this test?...MACTRAXX
 #1569095  by MACTRAXX

Patch Hog wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:01 am https://www.newsday.com/long-island/tra ... 1.50217680

Press conference today announcing feasibility study of battery powered EMUs.
PH: Good find - this could again partially answer the question of hauling M7 car pairs with MP15s
outside of electrified territory - once they are equipped with chargeable battery power.
(Remember that Newsday has the paywall...)

If this can pan out-and if battery testing is successful-major changes could be ahead for LIRR commuters.

The best way would be for an MU trainset already built with this battery technology to be tested instead of
retrofitting M7 cars - which are already on the heavy side - with batteries. A short run of 12.2 miles between
East Williston and Oyster Bay (nonelectrified OB Branch segment) may be a good length for this test...

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1569096  by Pensyfan19

MACTRAXX wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:59 am The only train(s) that used the Mineola-East Williston third rail was AM Peak train #1501 deadheading to
EW for the run. This train was eliminated beginning with the January 25, 2021 timetable. With this segment
of third rail not used for almost three months at this post it was time to check on the third rail's condition -
and/or this could mean that train #1501 could be back with a subsequent schedule change.

There would be no real point to bring these two MU cars past the end of third rail.
Why did the LIRR need three MP15s for this test?...MACTRAXX
Thank you for the possible explanation regarding testing the third rail. However, it was later reported that the two M7s were dropped off at the track facing away from the platform at Oyster Bay while the three MP15s returned without the railcars about 2 hours later. As for why they needed three of these MP15s, I still do not know that answer.
 #1569097  by MACTRAXX

PF: Did anyone get a picture of the M7 car pair at OB?
In this matter I will reply "I'm from Missouri"...MACTRAXX
 #1569103  by Crabman1130

MACTRAXX wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:23 pm PF: Did anyone get a picture of the M7 car pair at OB?
In this matter I will reply "I'm from Missouri"...MACTRAXX
Someone posted them on Facebook.
If you have a Facebook account look under Long Island Sunrise Trail Chapter of the NRHS.

I can't repost them because I don't have a photo hosting account.
 #1569121  by Pensyfan19

ConstanceR46 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:17 pm Incredible. I'm praying this works out. This could make so many routes viable - BEMU M7s rocketing down the Bay Ridge, Lower Montauk, etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm very excited, suffice to say.
As am I! This is a great way to combine diesel and electric branches without electrifying them, and could even restore a few abandoned lines! (This could also mean the end of diesel services and render the upcoming bi mode Siemens Chargers moot, but only time will tell.)
 #1569125  by photobug56

Port Jeff line and Oyster Bay it seems to make sense, to be possible because the distance non electrified is fairly short. The other lines, I'm guessing they are just too long for this to work. Of course, even with lithium ion (and hoping these batteries are built well enough to not blow up, etc.) , they will add a lot of weight to the M7's, not sure what that will do the cars in terms of structure, brakes, motors, acceleration, deceleration, metal stress, etc. But it would make it very easy for access to GCT, for instance. Trains to Penn, HPA, LIC, etc. would stay double decker to minimize capacity loss. Another question - how many PJ line stations have 12 car platforms, or room for such? I believe East Northport has a 12 car platform already.

So it is an interesting proposal. But I'm guessing that a M9B car might make more sense.
 #1569128  by ConstanceR46

This wouldn't end diesel services, i don't think. For use-cases like the Greenport Scoot, OB, PJ, perhaps some future inner-city lines, these would be nice, but i think the capacity and speed of a charger pulling bilevels would win out.