Railroad Forums 

• Green Line Extension Lechmere to Medford

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1568159  by Charliemta

rethcir wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:35 pm It is actually happening.. amazing after all these years
The GLX line to Tufts (and beyond) had been officially planned starting in 1945. The original plan did not include the branch to Union Square. So it's been in the works since WW II and it's great to see it built in my lifetime - I'm 71.
 #1568259  by Charliemta

BandA wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:32 pm Was it worth the project overspend? What would the fare need to be in order to recoup the project costs?
The GLX project cut costs from the original design by simplifying the design of the stations and other cost-cutting changes. Any project that requires this many walls and bridge modifications is going to be expensive. As for the fare, transit projects and operations are never covered by fares alone. Tax funds are always needed.
 #1568262  by bostontrainguy

So speaking of fares and simplifying the station designs . . . how are they going to handle fare collection? The simplification means no fare gates, right? And since the center platforms require left side door access, how are fares being collected?
 #1568267  by bostontrainguy

I thought that was the new plan.

Excerpt from a news article I just found: Comparing the stations to the Green Line stops on the B and C branches, he said they could be “open air,’’ largely exposed to the elements, their minimal structures primarily used to house electrical equipment. The previous plans called for the stations to have full entrance structures and other amenities that now seem unlikely.
 #1568272  by ceo

I know that the redesign called for on-board fare collection, but that was assuming AFC 2.0, with the proof-of-payment system on the Green Line, was going to be in place by then. Not actually sure what the plan is now.
 #1568395  by bostontrainguy

Maverickstation1 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:58 am EDIT: Also, from the article above, B and C will both now terminate at Gov't Center!

Yeah !, ever since Govt Center was rebuilt, and the turning loop there rehabbed, it may ZERO sense not to have all B trolleys run to and from Govt Center.

Ken
The loop was rebuilt for trains coming from the north. It can't be used by the B,C,D,E trains.

They planned to turn the B trains at GC a few years ago but the line is so unreliable they changed their minds.
 #1568423  by The EGE

I suspect that the C will be re-extended to North Station quite quickly. Running two branches out of the same downtown terminal means you have no dispatching control there, and commuter rail riders will be rather displeased if they're getting passed up by full trains coming from the north at North Station.
 #1569113  by TurningOfTheWheel

The answer to the fare predicament? CharlieCard validators on the platforms and the honor system.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/04/17/ ... le-tricky/

I wish the political will for fare-free transit was as strong as the political will to hire a bunch of transit cops to harass people about paying their fares.