Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1567690  by JohnFromJersey

Some people in the CR on the Southern Secondary thread said it would be best to create a new topic on this

Recently, D&D, a subsidiary of C&D, was granted a few million dollars in grant money for a "Freehold & Southern Connection + Upgrade" with the potential for more money, as it included the phrase "Phase 1"
https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/ ... Awards.pdf

Since this involves (currently) two different lines and a company that does not have a thread right now, I think it would be good for a new discussion thread.

1. How long until we see something beyond grant reports?
2. How long would it take them to reconnect Freehold and Farmingdale?
3. Does this mean we will see more, bigger trains on both lines?
4. Will Freehold and Southern runs be combined into one train?
5. What does this mean for Red Bank-Farmingdale? Will it be railbanked until something with MOM changes?
6. Will Extech and Brick Recycling start receiving cars now that they don't have to go over NJT tracks?
7. Could this affect anything to do with the CMSL operation down in Lakehurst/Woodmansie?
8. Could we see a potential TRIT revival?
 #1567775  by nomis

I concur with David. I may do some of the O/S reporting housekeeping and clean that up after the per weekly train, as well to make things flow a little better for historical reasoning. Other than that, it’s too “Epic”-ly large to perform some surgery to, unless something important happens.
 #1567796  by JohnFromJersey

R&DB wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:16 pm John;
Dover and Delaware is a topic on this forum as well as the grant. I don't think we need another topic.

Wait and see.

David, Please merge with the grant topic.
I think the current D&D topic is for current operations, not potential/future ones - we still have no confirmation out of a state document yet. In addition, the grant topic could also be used to discuss any of the other many different lines mentioned in it - this topic would dedicated to the FIT and SOUS regarding that.
 #1569017  by JohnFromJersey

R&DB wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:38 pm
#1567796 by JohnFromJersey
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:36 pm

Speculation over. See the 2021 Grant topic. The OOS section of FIT will reopen and the SOUS will be reconnected to NJSL. Will be operated in the future by D&D.
I guess we can speculate on what they will do in the near future, like can we expect to see more customers, how many trains a week, a possible Winslow reconnection, what will happen to Faremingdale-Red Bank, etc
 #1569484  by pdtrains

While I dont think anyone would be happy about loss of CSAO jobs out of Browns, I think the sooner C&D takes over, the better as far as customer service is concerned.
Dont know if the proposed agreement is for everything operating out of browns, or just the ex-prr/cnj lines (Dayton, freehold, and on to Fremingdale, and the Southern) IDK why CSAO would want to hold on to the ex RR lines..
Id guess that if it goes thru, it will the "Browns cluster".... everything that operates out of Browns yard, and the C&D will be based in browns yard. CSAO would still run the interchange trains down from Oak Island.

C&D (D&DR in west jersey), did a good amount of rehab work on the Washington Line (Phillipsburg to Dover, NJ) Undercut tracks at low OH bridge in Pburg right away, to allow plate F cars. Rehabbed interchange track at location of old DLW yard in Pburg, and rebuilt all the grad crossing signal circuits between Pburg and Hackettstown (where it becomes NJT trackage) NS crews dogged it all the time, so i figure service has to be better than NS days. I dont know if theres been any increase in traffic on the line, but im sure they are going after it a lot more than NS ever did...which was probably zero.
 #1577208  by CharlieL

I said it before and I'll say it again: that's a catch-22 situation. C&D/D&D can't operate on the southern until the FIT is reconnected. Very doubtful they are equipped with PTC. No PTC, no connection to the southern via NJCL. I think we'll see upgrades/repairs before they start operations. Don't think they would require a STB exemption to do the necessary upgrades, just an agreement with conrail that they will take over after the upgrades are complete. Then they would need the STB exemption filing. They could, I suppose lease a couple of PTC equipped locos. But that seems to me to be unlikely.
 #1577210  by R&DB

CharlieL wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:36 pm I said it before and I'll say it again: that's a catch-22 situation. C&D/D&D can't operate on the southern until the FIT is reconnected. Very doubtful they are equipped with PTC. No PTC, no connection to the southern via NJCL. I think we'll see upgrades/repairs before they start operations. Don't think they would require a STB exemption to do the necessary upgrades, just an agreement with conrail that they will take over after the upgrades are complete. Then they would need the STB exemption filing. They could, I suppose lease a couple of PTC equipped locos. But that seems to me to be unlikely.
Charlie;
D&D already do some freight work on NJT lines in North Jersey where Csao and NS used to do the work. So they obviously have some PTC equipment. Another C&D company, D&RR, does the same. I don't think they have any intention of using the Coast Line.