Railroad Forums 

• Boston Surface Railroad: Worcester-Providence Commuter Rail

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1568991  by MaineCoonCat

Well, this'll make it harder to see what they're up to..

(163.23 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
 #1569065  by Jeff Smith

MaineCoonCat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:53 pm For grins, I calculated the "date and time" target of their "countdown" from today.. Sometime around 0300 EDT (0700 Z) Monday, 2 August 2021.
For grins and giggles and Zulu? You must be former military :wink:
 #1569137  by MaineCoonCat

Jeff Smith wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:42 am
For grins and giggles and Zulu? You must be former military :wink:
Way back when. Actually most of my use of it is due to my past work with Digital Equipment Corp and communicating with various facilities globally plus my other "hobby interest"; weather. Weather model runs are based on Zulu time. I did spend about 5 years working in and managing a Dining Facility on a small Army installation just outside Boston, as an employee of a contractor.
 #1569218  by BandA

Greenwich Mean Time is much more accurate than Zulu Time, Coordinated Universal Time or even Universal Time - Coordinated :wink: Obviously the military (and possibly DEC) uses Zulu because the word is so distinct and it's one letter abbreviation instead of a TLA (three letter acronym). BSRR presumably uses Allegheny Time. (My computer gets confused - if I reboot from Linux to Windows it changes from Eastern Time to Zulu Time).
 #1569225  by MaineCoonCat

and possibly DEC
If you worked in the Mill (headquarters) and went by the wall clocks, each building seemed to have it's own timezone, varying by as much as 15 minutes. I was in Eastern Building 1 time.. The cafeteria was on Building 5 time..
 #1569240  by MaineCoonCat

Not to mention Rob Henry's time or P.J. Whitney's time, where an hour lasted 120 minutes.. Or so.. But I digress..
 #1569272  by Jeff Smith

Welcome to Zulu.NET! I assume full responsibility.

In any case, it seems to me that if this gentleman wanted a fast and easy solution for a demo service, he'd get a couple of the RDC's the dude in Vermont has that are idly sitting somewhere in a short-term lease.

Now that the bankruptcy case has been dismissed (I believe the primary motive was to settle the station/"HQ" usage), maybe (a big IF), this could come to fruition.
 #1569334  by MaineCoonCat

Re: Station usage, not sure but I think that may have been a separate case as there was a case in New Hampshire District Court; Boston Surface Railroad Company, Inc. v. RI Department of Transportation, Case No. 1:20-CV-00331 LM which was closed 16 July of 2020.

Frankly, if I had a couple of RDCs sitting idly somewhere, there would need to be excellent top to bottom powder skiing conditions in hell before I'd let "this gentleman" anywhere near them.

My question, and I'm sure this is asked in many peoples' minds is; if this could be done at a profit, wouldn't P&W have started providing this service long ago? Maybe it's just me..
(108.85 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
 #1572308  by MaineCoonCat

Latest date/time calculation on when whatever their website is counting down to.