Railroad Forums 

• NJ announces 2021 rail construction grants

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1568837  by David

Hello--Can someone repost the improvements that are going to take place? Lots of trouble hooking up with the link.--Thank you.
 #1568843  by CharlieL

Interesting they are to replace some sections of 100# rail with 132#. For the sand trains, maybe?
Also 2 new turnouts. Perhaps for a Farmingdale wye? Or perhaps new customers?
Also nothing about a new crossing at Fairfield rd. Perhaps the tracks are still there, asphalted over?

Questions, questions, but at least the main ones have been answered.
 #1568844  by CR7876

CharlieL wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:51 pm Interesting they are to replace some sections of 100# rail with 132#. For the sand trains, maybe?
Also nothing about a new crossing at Fairfield rd. Perhaps the tracks are still there, asphalted over?

Crossing construction usually is a Department of Transportation item. It might be an " Apples to Oranges" comparison, but when the RT 530 and RT 539 crossings on the NJCL portion of the Southern were rehabbed, the money to do so did not come from this kind of grant. IIRC, that money came directly from the County. 100# rail is not conducive to allowing 286,000lb cars, something C&D worked hard to accomplish on the DD and DRRV.
 #1568845  by CharlieL

Okerson, howell, Yellowbrook and rte 524 are specifically mentioned for crossing work but not Fairfield. There is a note further down about Fairfield but does not mention crossing work' hence the above remark. Also the amount of 132# rail mentioned is somewhat limited. That's why I'm puzzled.
 #1568867  by Tanker1497

CharlieL wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:51 pm Interesting they are to replace some sections of 100# rail with 132#. For the sand trains, maybe?

I thought the same thing about the wye in Farmingdale. But that track goes by so many potential customers that once had sidings. Part of what prevents new customers is the ridiculous cost to be added with a siding.
But what upsets me more is this only holds true in a few States of the Union ( you connect the dots) !
These cost need to be added to the consumer just like the trucking industry price hikes, only here the cost tremendously out weights that of using trucks for the near future! A single turnout cost would take 25 years to recoup the cost of the savings!
 #1568886  by R&DB

CharlieL wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:02 am Now that I think about it, maybe the turnouts are to re-establish the runaround between Marl Rd and 524A. Can't help myself, waiting for them to start.
You may be right on this. Without a runaround in Farmingdale they are gonna have some long shoves. It's still going to be interesting how they will service Brick / Belray and Extech from a Farmingdale approach. As we all here have speculated, Farmingdale screams for a wye.

Another question is where D&D will interchange and will they have a yard? Will CSAO turn over a portion of Browns to them? Since they are going to reconnect to Lakehurst, will they still Use the runaround at Cross St?
 #1568901  by jdh823

R&DB wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:01 am
CharlieL wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:02 am Now that I think about it, maybe the turnouts are to re-establish the runaround between Marl Rd and 524A. Can't help myself, waiting for them to start.

You may be right on this. Without a runaround in Farmingdale they are gonna have some long shoves. It's still going to be interesting how they will service Brick / Belray and Extech from a Farmingdale approach. As we all here have speculated, Farmingdale screams for a wye.

Another question is where D&D will interchange and will they have a yard? Will CSAO turn over a portion of Browns to them? Since they are going to reconnect to Lakehurst, will they still Use the runaround at Cross St?
Well Extech hasn't gotten served in over a year so I wouldn't be worried about them much. Only thing I can think of is that they can also maybe run push-pull up there as well.
 #1568911  by R&DB

#1568901 by jdh823
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:27 am
Push-pull. I Had not thought of that. SRNJ operates that way on the Atlantic City line, it would probably work on the Southern as well.
 #1568947  by Tanker1497

I don't think we will see a start date... but we have already see a start date/dates. They keep doing stuff without going public, I'm betting we see the same tree guys cutting brush and trees from rt33 to Farmingdale. With JCPL work posted on there trucks as a roost. Then we will see a road get a repair crossing here and there. So on!
 #1568975  by Sir Ray

Tanker1497 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:41 pm They keep doing stuff without going public, I'm betting we see the same tree guys cutting brush and trees from rt33 to Farmingdale. With JCPL work posted on there trucks as a roost. Then we will see a road get a repair crossing here and there.
So, stealth rail restoration, then? Does make sense for Jersey, I guess...
 #1568981  by Tanker1497

Sir Ray wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:09 am
Tanker1497 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:41 pm They keep doing stuff without going public, I'm betting we see the same tree guys cutting brush and trees from rt33 to Farmingdale. With JCPL work posted on there trucks as a roost. Then we will see a road get a repair crossing here and there.
So, stealth rail restoration, then? Does make sense for Jersey, I guess...
Its pretty much been happening for 10 years plus. A grant for this a grant for that, road crossing rebuilt for no apparent reason. Southern Secondary has its track bonding wire replaced last year for each rail section in Lakehurst. On the double OOS track. OOS in Lakewood and then OOS passed the trestel in Lakehurst for about 1000ft.
All the trestels being rebuilt in that same period never to see a train in 10 plus years.
The only saving Grace is the 5 miles between Farmingdale and Freehold is all Industrial. No NIMBY's
 #1569002  by GSC

"The only saving Grace is the 5 miles between Farmingdale and Freehold is all Industrial. No NIMBY's"

I know the guy who lives next to the Adelphia Road crossing in F'dale and he likes trains. He spent some time volunteering at Pine Creek a few years back. No NIMBY there.