Railroad Forums 

• Post COVID - Passenger Rail

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1566194  by rcthompson04

I don’t see myself going back to the office the normal 3-4 days a week with 1-2 work from home. I see those numbers more or less being reversed in the future. Working in the office isn’t much different than being at home... I am on the phone with people not there regardless.

That will have a profound impact on my commuting habits. I will definitely take Amtrak more and SEPTA less. I can justify the cost difference if going 1-2 days a week.
 #1566203  by justalurker66

How much do "business travel" statistics have to do with rail travel? Few people on cross country trips have the time to take Amtrak. Regional trips can be taken on Amtrak, but the outlook for "business travel" has more to do with other forms of travel.

"Return to office" statistics would be more reflective of the impact on passenger rail. It is hard to say when companies expect to have their people back in their offices. Ask companies a year ago how long they expected to have their people working from home and you probably would have heard "a few months". At the end of the second wave businesses were again optimistic - another couple of months? Then the situation got worse.

A year later - businesses have some idea of how well they operate "from home" and can make a more informed choice as to whether their business would do better with people physically at work. Vaccinations are well underway and it looks like everyone who wants a vaccine will be able to get one in the next few months. I am sure that there will be companies that never go back to the office - but there were 100% work from home companies before the pandemic. Those that go back may find that the synergy is worth having people make the trip in. One major effect of "work from home" is the increase in commuting from home. There are some places where the location of home doesn't make a difference. It matters where I work. We expect people to be available to show up at work (a physical location) on a day's notice or less.

So yes, I expect many businesses will return to in person in July or at least by the end of the year. "Normal" is coming - and passenger rail (commuter and regional rail) will be used again.
 #1566227  by eolesen

west point wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:00 pm Public radio this evening reported that airlines are reporting a fairly large increase in corporate travel bureau's bookings
Public radio needs better researchers.

There may be a slight uptick in corporate travel, but no, "fairly large" is not how I'd put it considering that business traffic used to make up 60% of an airline's daily volume. Today, I'd guess it's closer to 10-30%, and won't be rebounding anytime soon.

Leisure travel, however, does appear to be booming as people turn their stimulus checks into vacations (and firearms, cars, RV's..). Sort of makes one question why those checks were deemed as so essential, but that's not a topic for here.

Perhaps some of those stimulus dollars will be invested in land cruises via rail, since sea cruises seem to remain drydocked until next winter...
 #1568856  by Myrtone

Might mask wearing on public transport continue even after the crisis is over and practically everyone is vaccinated?
 #1568860  by RRspatch

Myrtone wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:16 pm Might mask wearing on public transport continue even after the crisis is over and practically everyone is vaccinated?
Actually wearing a mask during cold and flu season, especially among older people, might not be a bad idea now that precedent has been established.

BTW - speaking of mass transit and masks, ever ridden the Tokyo subway?
 #1568866  by Myrtone

RRspatch wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:31 pmActually wearing a mask during cold and flu season, especially among older people, might not be a bad idea now that precedent has been established.
The precedent was established during the Spanish Flu, but it disappeared after that pandemic and this was before a flu vaccine had been found.
 #1568880  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Wolf, your immediate reminds me of a an observation I noted just as "it was beginning".

The last time I was anywhere within the Corporation Limits of the City of Chicago (that is, BTW, a Legal Term) was February 20, 2020 for a Chicago Symphony concert. While like most of the world did know "something big and bad" was about to happen, it hadn't yet in the US. I noted how a surprisingly large number of patrons (that's audience in other than symphonyese) were wearing masks. Now I think it is safe assumption that the majority of CSO patrons have traveled overseas, and for those who have been to Asia (I have; not totally by choice), realized the custom and decided it was time to do so over here.
 #1568908  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:44 am The Asians have a "wear a mask if you're feeling sick." We should adopt a "wear a mask if you're feeling sick and you're out and about."
I think masks are going to be regular thing in the country for now on.
It's a fashion accessory, apparently.
 #1568909  by scratchyX1

kitchin wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:57 am The one aspect of the future missing from Blade Runner.
Does anyone else remember the anime Dominion Tank Police?
Mask wearing was something everyone did.
 #1568939  by justalurker66

RRspatch wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:31 pm Actually wearing a mask during cold and flu season, especially among older people, might not be a bad idea now that precedent has been established.

BTW - speaking of mass transit and masks, ever ridden the Tokyo subway?
I hope that the "political" division over masks ends and what remains is the option to wear a mask with no stigma.
 #1568964  by RRspatch

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:55 am Mr. Wolf, your immediate reminds me of a an observation I noted just as "it was beginning".

The last time I was anywhere within the Corporation Limits of the City of Chicago (that is, BTW, a Legal Term) was February 20, 2020 for a Chicago Symphony concert. While like most of the world did know "something big and bad" was about to happen, it hadn't yet in the US. I noted how a surprisingly large number of patrons (that's audience in other than symphonyese) were wearing masks. Now I think it is safe assumption that the majority of CSO patrons have traveled overseas, and for those who have been to Asia (I have; not totally by choice), realized the custom and decided it was time to do so over here.
I remember reading about what was happening in China back in late February. Knowing how many flights there are between Asia and the US I figured whatever was happening over there will be over here real soon. With that I rushed off to Walmart where in the home improvement section I found three boxes of N95 masks for use in wood working and painting I guess. I grabbed all three boxes (10 masks each at 24.95 a box) and headed for the check out. A year later I still have a few left. Now am I a bad person for hoarding N95's early on or a smart person for seeing what was coming down the road at us?

I now have my second Pfizer shot in me and will be fully covered on April 21st. At that point I'll start wearing a "regular" mask and save my remaining N95's for next time. Once Tracy gets vaccinated we plan on doing some car trips as we figure the planes will be too expensive and Amtrak probably sold out. Maybe next year the Texas Eagle and Capital Limited to back east.