Railroad Forums 

• Metro phasing out old, original Smartrip cards as it upgrades farebox & faregates

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1568788  by davinp

VRE was also using Moovit. However, since Moovit announced they were leaving the USA, VRE switched to a new developer for their moble app - American Eagle. The new app was launched in January
VRE is planning on adding more features to the app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... iletickets

scratchyX1 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:57 am
STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:28 pm
scratchyX1 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:51 am TransitApp is what I've been using for MTA bus , the last 3 years. Charmpass is a bit clunkier, I kinda wish MTA would not try to develop in house software what already exists elsewhere. (remember the initial app that went with the bus system redesign?)
It's a little clunky, in terms of trip planning, but works pretty well, now that real time bus tracking is almost implemented across the board.
Had arrival time at 7 minutes the other day, while I saw the 33 coming to stop.
Which bus system redesign? Remember the Greater Baltimore Bus Initiative that got only half done?

MTA Maryland hired Moovit for the Charmpass app... and I think they're closing that contract out for another vendor, last I heard. Tracking the buses? They saw Transit and just tied into it. I think they're still trying to replace the bus tracking infrastructure at base and on the buses themselves.
I've got vague memory that initially, one had to look up the MTA assigned bus top number into the app, to do trip planning. I think that was version 1.0 of the charmpass app. I know that maybe half the buses were tracked.
Maybe 7 years ago?
This was before the "redline canceling apology, but not really " Link redesign.
Yeah, The GBBI redesign, that had been in works in.. the 90s, I think.
MTA should maybe have Garret Walker or someone look at the system, and how to integrate it with circulators (which iirc, was initially implemented as the Charles street streetcar was too pricy) and water taxi.
 #1568833  by STrRedWolf

davinp wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:48 am VRE was also using Moovit. However, since Moovit announced they were leaving the USA, VRE switched to a new developer for their moble app - American Eagle. The new app was launched in January
VRE is planning on adding more features to the app
I rechecked my Charmpass app. It's by Moovel/TransitSherpa. So they're stable.
 #1568878  by kitchin

It's funny these software people name things Moovel and Moovit since "milk train" meant slow train. More appropriately, a software package called Milk Moovement, for milk transport, just got venture funding: https://www.freightwaves.com/news/milk- ... ding-round

Olden days the proximity to NYC made upstate New York and Pennsylvania dairy country. Same goes for Chicago and Wisconsin I'd guess. And the Germanic love for silly hats at Packers games. /offtopic
 #1573048  by Literalman

Having an old farecard with maybe $1 in value left, I wanted it mostly for guests. The Metro website said it will replace cards, transfer the value, and add $5 more. But it wanted information I could not provide because the information had worn off the card. So I looked at the mail-in instructions and saw that if my card had ever been used in Smartbenefits, I could not replace it at this time and should wait for an email from Metro. So I'll wait … But no, you shouldn't have to forfeit the card and its value. Just let Metro replace it.