Railroad Forums 

• Gershow Medford New Yard

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1533210  by tahawus84

Looking on google earth I see gershow in Medford has expanded east behind the auto storage property with a 3 track storage yard. It looks to be a decent size and I count 45 cars in the yard. Anyone know how they operate? It does not appear they can load in the yard so I assume that the cars must be pulled out to be loaded but they do not have any locomotives on site that I know of.
 #1533490  by DaveBarraza

They can drag cars around with a payloader.

That's a lot of loaded cars in storage! How is NY&A handling those, you could put a unit train together!
 #1536354  by tahawus84

Anyone know what time they switch out gershow? Does the same train that does gershow do Brookhaven rail terminal?
 #1568269  by freightguy

Gershow has installed a second mainline switch in Medford not too much further west from its main facility on Peconic Ave. I'm not sure what it's going to used for but I would assume the local residents aren't going to be too thrilled.

In 2006 the Synergy gas switch was realigned to go towards a Winter Bros C&D facility during a mainline track program. Nothing ever panned out with that move. This is going to get interesting real quick if Gershow is going to try to enter the MSW game here on Long Island. Grab your popcorn. This would be 4 mainline freight switches in the Medford vicinity.
 #1568437  by Teutobergerwald

I was told by my neighbor who works for the LIRR in Signal that he heard NYA has approached the LIRR about building a long DEF in the Medford area. He said there was one there a long time ago, which is why the bridge over Rte. 112 is for two tracks. NYA needs the flexibility it would offer for their operation east of KO. That's an interesting possibility.
 #1568448  by freightguy

Makes a lot of sense. I'm surprised that didn't happen years ago. LIRR told NYA a while back they had plans to double track through there in the future so they couldn't build a freight siding there. You could easily build a mile long DEF east of the Medford station where the grade evens out along Long Island Ave. That is some block of activity between KO2 and YA. That's why the yard limits boards were in Riverhead , besides to turn trains there so much freight activity in the LD block. Bring back the permissive block signal for freights operating in Manual Block Signal system rules!
 #1568749  by tahawus84

Is the new switch for Gershow in addition to the old Paraco switch? I know they realigned that switch and it looks like they were using it last time I was there.

Great to see so much activity in the area!