Railroad Forums 

• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1566531  by ut-1

Utica Notes:

Each year about now, an additional locomotive is brought on the branch to assist No. 3040 haul increased seasonal tonnage to customers in Waterville and Sangerfield. So far, it's still just 3040.

In an unusual occurrence, last week 3040 made the Sangerfield run light in both directions. Not sure why this happened, perhaps additional switching was required down in Sangerfield.

Attached is a picture taken at the easterly end of the Utica yard this morning; approximately 2800 ties were recently dropped here. Notice the greenish tint: a poster on the "Railroading Rambler" FB group figures the ties have been treated with copper naphthenate "because of the regulations concerning creosote." Oxidation of the copper causes the greenish tint.

Also, here's a video from March 18th showing 3040 southbound in Chadwicks with a six-car train:

#1567811  by ut-1

Ricky: No new customers that I'm aware of.

Utica Notes: NYS&W No. 3618 has just arrived on the branch to assist 3040 handle the increased seasonal tonnage to Sangerfield. CSX originally delivered 3618 to Selkirk before dropping the SD45 in Utica. Here's a photo taken on April 3rd:

Also, here's a video from April 1st (an entirely new view of 3040 is presented at the end):

#1567847  by wally

ut-1 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:43 am Also, here's a video from April 1st (an entirely new view of 3040 is presented at the end):
ooooh. a MEC/Guilford boxcar.
 #1568681  by ut-1

In Utica since early April, No. 3618's first run on the branch occurred on Monday, April 12th.

Here's a short video with a few highlights:

#1569525  by ut-1

Utica Notes: Though not yet up to the levels of the past few years, carloads to Sangerfield are steadily increasing. MOW crews have been busy on the branch (north of Sangerfield at least), including some work on the main near the switch on the southerly end of the wye at Richfield Junction. Last I knew, the wye was not in service.

So far, SD45 No. 3618 has been used three times this spring.

This video shows 3040 and 3618 teaming-up on April 20th:

#1572476  by ut-1

Utica Notes: Spring traffic levels still appear to be down from last year. 3618 remains on the branch, perhaps being used 15 times or so since its arrival here in early April. The big tie pile pictured in my March 21st post remains in place at the easterly end of the Utica yard.

This video from May 27th features UT-1's biggest train of the spring (at least the biggest one I've seen and I see them pretty much every day as they pass by my workplace). Locations seen are as follows: 1) Lower Main, Clayville; 2) Summit Rd, Marshall; and 3) NYS Rt 12 overpass, Sangerfield.

#1577641  by ut-1

Utica Notes: No. 3618 remains in Utica, though it hasn't been used in several weeks. It was brought on the branch to assist with the annual spring increase in tonnage to customers in Waterville and Sangerfield. Doug Ellison, Utica branch master historian, recently retired from his post as NYS&W's VP-Mechanical.

This video, made on August 5th, features switching at FX Matt Brewery, Utica, off Schuyler Street

#1580391  by ut-1

Utica Notes: Traffic remains strong to New Hartford's Oneida Warehouse accessed via former NYO&W Utica Division tracks. The O&W is getting a bit of a facelift with major work being done "railroad south" of NYS 840. Trips to Sangerfield have been occurring about twice per week, usually with 2-4 covered hoppers.

Here's a video I made yesterday:

#1583574  by ut-1

Utica Notes: Ties have recently been dropped Utica southward. I saw MOW equipment heading south past Genesee Street, Utica, earlier in the week. Haven't seen them return. A crossing replacement project on Utica's Seward Ave was recently completed. Oneida Warehouse, Campion Road, New Hartford, continues to be the Susquehanna's highest carload customer on the "industrials" off the Utica main (New Hartford, New York Mills).

Here's a video of switching activity at FX Matt on Oct 27th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDqLbkMO9D0

A few screenshots
Attachments:
Something 5 (2).JPG
Something 5 (2).JPG (137.51 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
Something 2.JPG
Something 2.JPG (86.96 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
Something 1 (3).JPG
Something 1 (3).JPG (136.31 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
 #1584060  by ut-1

Utica Notes: Substantial track work continues, including work on both the New Hartford & NY Mills industrials. The track gang even worked on both Saturday & Sunday, Oct 30 & 31. No trains to Sangerfield for at least a week or more due to track work (EDIT: a few minutes after I posted this, the first train to Sangerfield since track work commenced passed through South Utica, No. 3040 with one covered hopper & one tank car). Service continues uninterrupted, however, to customers in New Hartford & NY Mills.

This video, shows UT-1 in action on Oct 29 on Schuyler Street and in New Hartford on former O&W Utica Division tracks. Additionally, the track gang is seen on Saturday, Oct 30th in S Utica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WaYmBOjv3Y

A few screenshots
Attachments:
Short 1 (3).JPG
Short 1 (3).JPG (172.73 KiB) Viewed 2108 times
Short 6 (2).JPG
Short 6 (2).JPG (132.32 KiB) Viewed 2108 times
 #1585011  by ut-1

Utica Notes: "Sangerfield Slows" Due to slow orders resulting from ongoing track work, travel times to Sangerfield are very slow. Once south of Utica's Schuyler Street, only 6 of the approximate 22 miles to "Sang" are rated at 25 mph. The remaining 16 are at 10 mph. Once the trackwork is done, it is expected that track speed will be increased.

This video, from November 4th, shows switching activity in S Utica on former West Shore tracks and concludes with street running scenes on Schuyler Street:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29ua7Z2cJCU

A few screenshots
Attachments:
Boo 2.PNG
Boo 2.PNG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 1933 times
Boo 1.PNG
Boo 1.PNG (1.44 MiB) Viewed 1933 times
 #1585480  by ut-1

Utica Notes: 10 mph slow order remains in place up to Paris Station at which point speed's increased to 25 mph into Sangerfield. Daily (M-F) activity continues on the New Hartford & New York Mills industrials. Just a few trains per week to Sangerfield, mostly 1-3 cars. They returned light today.

This video was taken on Nov 23rd and includes some info on the Schuyler Street tracks and FX Matt switch, together with footage on Schuyler Street and both the NH & NYM industrials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuBDVPFYDPc

A few screenshots
Attachments:
Susq 1 (2).PNG
Susq 1 (2).PNG (877.27 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
Edit 3 (2).JPG
Edit 3 (2).JPG (182.33 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
Susq 3.JPG
Susq 3.JPG (144.96 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
 #1588999  by ut-1

Utica Notes: Daily activity M-F continues on the New Hartford and New York Mills industrials with New Hartford's Oneida Warehouse receiving the most carloads by far. Trips to Sangerfield are occurring 1-2 times per week. 3618 remains in the Utica yard. A few weeks ago, it was coupled up to the Jordan spreader; perhaps 3618 will power any snowplow work extras this winter.

This video, from Jan 7th, features a look at a northbound freight passing by my office in Utica plus scenes at the Schuyler St tower, 2.9 miles farther north

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeT5CTPYLgk&t=3s

A screenshot
Attachments:
schuyler 1 (2).JPG
schuyler 1 (2).JPG (134.07 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
 #1589174  by ut-1

Utica Notes: On Monday, January 10th, 3040 conked out at Oneida Warehouse, New Hartford. As of this morning, Wednesday January 12th, the GP40 is still in New Hartford.

On Tuesday morning, January 11th, I walked along 3040 and its train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ezySiy0XGE

A few screenshots
Attachments:
Frigid 4.JPG
Frigid 4.JPG (58.33 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
Frigid 3.JPG
Frigid 3.JPG (53.98 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
Frigid 2.JPG
Frigid 2.JPG (46.66 KiB) Viewed 1251 times