Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1566285  by MattAmity90

One of my friends posted photos of diesels going through New Hyde Park. It seems that the new Platform A has been opened up, and the new temporary Platform B is in service now. Since they were taken at night, I'm assuming the temporary platforms on the other side of 12th Street are being dismantled. They are each 10-cars long, with the remaining 2-car lengths being built after the underpass is completed.
 #1566407  by Head-end View

I had a chance to walk around the Mineola Station complex today at lunch hour. With the construction temporarily shut down the area was eerily quiet, almost like a Sunday morning. Not too many rail passengers around or pedestrian traffic. And you can't even cross the tracks on foot at the now former Main St. crossing.

But I did get to see two M9 trains and a freight going east. Hope the construction resumes sooner rather than later.
 #1566466  by Andrewmad

Looking at the pictures brings a tear to my eye. With all of the grade crossings now eliminated between Jamaica-Hicksville.

Are used to love watching the trains I'm recording them and I'm really fantastic horns the trains would give sometimes you would get short but sometimes you get very long with the back to back to back crossings but they All I had the unique signature from each engineer.

My Grandfather Was a crossing watchmen at new Hyde Park Rd. for many years before the gates were automated. My father would tell me stories of being at new Hyde Park Rd With a steam engine going almost 100 mph bearing down on him and his father. Although I never got to see that obviously just hearing about it made me smile and I always made me think about my father and my grandfather.

I understand the reason for eliminating the creek crossings but it just takes a huge part of the railroad away for me. No more Doppler effect from now on no more Excitement. Who knows maybe I will get used to the new set up and Eventually grow to like it but right now I don't feel that way.
 #1566547  by Head-end View

Andrewmad, I'm not aware of any creek crossings between Floral Park and Mineola. :wink:

And I doubt that any steam engines ever went close to 100mph on that stretch either. The speed limit today is 80mph and in the all-Diesel era it was I believe 65mph.

But I agree with you that a great railfanning era is coming to a close in central Nassau County. First there is the mostly complete retirement of the M3 cars which spells the final end of front window viewing on LIRR. And then the impending installation of the new Reduced Aspect Signals on the third-track project. (That's assuming the LIRR doesn't come to its senses and install more conventional signaling on new signal bridges) There won't be much railfanning to do anymore even at Mineola.........
 #1566549  by Andrewmad

Head-end View I meant grade crossings. The stupid Apple voice activation is horrible sometimes. The steam engines did go close to 100 mph because There used to be a fishing train that will leave Jamaica every Sunday To go out to Montauk and it would make it from Jamaica to Montauk In just over two hours. Are used to have a neighbor in Richmond Hill queens who used to be an engineer and used to operate the Steam locomotives and he said they could get to between 90-100 mph On certain stretches. Of course it was only during the steam locomotive era that this happened Because once the diesels came in the speed slowed down.
 #1567047  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: After the power line incident at Mineola on Saturday March 13 the MTA removed the upcoming
track work dates of Saturdays March 20, 27 and April 10 from the list of LIRR planned service changes.

Has anyone heard any word from the LIRR when Third Track Project work may resume?

In the aftermath of the substation demolition problems on the morning of Tuesday March 9th the last
remaining open grade crossing was permanently closed - which was the pedestrian crossing at the east
end of Mineola Station adjacent to Nassau Tower. At that point all of the Main Line crossings in the 10.1
mile segment of the Third Track Project had been eliminated and/or closed for construction.

March 2021 will be unfortunately remembered for the setbacks that the Third Track Project has
experienced even with the significant accomplishment of reaching the grade crossing closure mark.

MACTRAXX
 #1567061  by newkirk

I was in Mineola two hours ago (March 27).

Nassau tower is still standing and no activity going on near it.
 #1567093  by MattAmity90

Okay, are you sure it's official that the pedestrian grade crossing next to NASSAU Tower is now permanently closed? Meaning the only way you can get across the tracks is via Roslyn Road, Mineola Blvd, and the ADA accessible pedestrian overpass?

Really, all the way through April 10th? Well I guess Willis Avenue's grade crossing(s) elimination project won't be completed by this Fall. Instead of November 2021, I say February 2022. The only work though that I have seen is they are removing the four crossover switches of the former NASSAU 1 in between Merillon Avenue and Garden City now that the new and current one is up and in service.
 #1568197  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: A one day signal modernization project is scheduled for Saturday April 10, 2021:
http://web.mta.info/supplemental/lirr/s ... ril-10.htm
Alternate service looks to be the same as past Floral Park-Hicksville track outages.

The timing is good taking note to the pleasant Spring weather that Long Island currently has...

The temporary shutdown of the Third Track Project in the aftermath of the problems in March at Mineola
looks to be complete after about four weeks - it remains to be seen how timelines in the various 3TC projects
will be affected - one of the most noteable changes in the weeks ahead will be the removal or demolition of
Nassau Tower at Mineola. Checking the LIRR's Planned Service Changes regularly for updates of 3TC work
is a way to keep informed about upcoming schedule changes as necessary...MACTRAXX
 #1568295  by MattAmity90

Well that's encouraging to know that the investigation of what happened in Mineola is basically completed. It may only be a one day outage tomorrow, but it's progress. Now when the shutdown happened, did that mean EVERY project in between Hicksville and Floral Park was suspended? Even work on the underpass at NHP, continuing construction at Carle Place, and the Willis Avenue grade crossing elimination?
 #1568562  by Head-end View

This morning I heard Divide Tower talking to trains about "single tracking".

And this evening I'm hearing train horns in the distance and since there are no crossings anymore between Floral Park and Hicksville, I wonder if that's an engineer warning a work crew of his approach.

Does anyone know if construction might have officially resumed?
 #1568578  by gamer4616

Head-end View wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:34 pm This morning I heard Divide Tower talking to trains about "single tracking".
An M9 test train broke down by Westbury a little after 9am. They were unable to troubleshoot and move the train. They were rescued by an equipment train (non-passenger train) and brought to Hillside. That lead to single tracking and some canceled trains (1233/2317).
 #1568618  by BobLI

It’s been a long time since I’ve been on L I. Are the tracks still at grade level except where the previous elevations are?