Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1568492  by Pensyfan19

I noticed that the Highliner being donated is in a maroon South Shore Line livery. How many Highliners were in this livery and when were they in service? I can't seem to find any images of these Highliners in service with this livery.
 #1568528  by eolesen

None. The cars had standard Metra livery on retirement. Painting over the markings may have been part of the requirement for donation. If someone takes photos of the training, Metra wouldn't want any possible confusion with their brand. Perhaps the maroon has significance beyond the CSSSB?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1568542  by justalurker66

The single level NICTD cars feature a maroon stripe (a nod to their "South Shore" heritage). The NICTD bi-levels do not have a side stripe but do have maroon letters and accents.

NICTD did a nice job on the design of their two diesel engines, 1000 and 1001. 1000 was the grey ghost for many years ... now both engines are decked out in a mostly maroon color scheme.