Railroad Forums 

• Metro phasing out old, original Smartrip cards as it upgrades farebox & faregates

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1568275  by davinp

Metro’s original SmarTrip® cards will soon become a relic of the past, as Metro invests in new faregates, fareboxes and fare payment options that will make it quicker and easier to pay but won’t be compatible with the old cards.

Customers are encouraged to replace their old SmarTrip cards now to avoid issues later.

It is frustrating that Android users still can't user their Smartrip on their phones as Metro ignored us and only focused on Apple.

Android had NFC long before Apple added it to the iPhone, but Google doesn't recognized like Apple does which is not fair.

https://www.wmata.com/about/news/Metro- ... 2oP8GXkJ00
 #1568320  by STrRedWolf

The new cards have been out for a few years now, and the old cards I think they're being cycled out no matter what as they're dying for other reasons.

I don't know how this will affect Charmcard usage.
 #1568397  by NaugyRR

I live in New York's Hudson Valley and got a pair mailed to me for a trip we're taking in August. I just plan on loading a couple three day passes into them a couple days before we leave.
 #1568490  by STrRedWolf

Sand Box John wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:38 am STrRedWolf

Me thinks there are no 0167 equivalent Charmcards.
If I remember correctly, you would be correct. I don't know if MTA Maryland got on board after I left -- their Smartrip/Charmcard administrator (who worked in IT) was keeping an eye on it but I think they'll be on the older standard for a while still. Last time I was involved on that was with the senior/disabled Charmcards, which were programmed for reduced fare and had their photo on them.
 #1568513  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:14 am
Sand Box John wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:38 am STrRedWolf

Me thinks there are no 0167 equivalent Charmcards.
If I remember correctly, you would be correct. I don't know if MTA Maryland got on board after I left -- their Smartrip/Charmcard administrator (who worked in IT) was keeping an eye on it but I think they'll be on the older standard for a while still. Last time I was involved on that was with the senior/disabled Charmcards, which were programmed for reduced fare and had their photo on them.
I had thought there charmcard compatibility ended years ago, I'm sure it will now.
We really need a card/system that works for MARC/VRE/WMATA/MTA/RTA
 #1568518  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:22 am If I remember correctly, you would be correct. I don't know if MTA Maryland got on board after I left -- their Smartrip/Charmcard administrator (who worked in IT) was keeping an eye on it but I think they'll be on the older standard for a while still. Last time I was involved on that was with the senior/disabled Charmcards, which were programmed for reduced fare and had their photo on them.
I had thought there charmcard compatibility ended years ago, I'm sure it will now.
[/quote]

The Charmpass app is close for MTA Maryland plus MARC, but Transit App I think switches to it. RTA is using Transit App. WMATA gets PG Transit, Fairfax transit, etc as they feed into WMATA,.. and that's Transit App too. Dunno about VRE.

Transit App anyone?
 #1568599  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:30 pm
scratchyX1 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:22 am If I remember correctly, you would be correct. I don't know if MTA Maryland got on board after I left -- their Smartrip/Charmcard administrator (who worked in IT) was keeping an eye on it but I think they'll be on the older standard for a while still. Last time I was involved on that was with the senior/disabled Charmcards, which were programmed for reduced fare and had their photo on them.
The Charmpass app is close for MTA Maryland plus MARC, but Transit App I think switches to it. RTA is using Transit App. WMATA gets PG Transit, Fairfax transit, etc as they feed into WMATA,.. and that's Transit App too. Dunno about VRE.

Transit App anyone?
[/quote]

TransitApp is what I've been using for MTA bus , the last 3 years. Charmpass is a bit clunkier, I kinda wish MTA would not try to develop in house software what already exists elsewhere. (remember the initial app that went with the bus system redesign?)
It's a little clunky, in terms of trip planning, but works pretty well, now that real time bus tracking is almost implemented across the board.
Had arrival time at 7 minutes the other day, while I saw the 33 coming to stop.
 #1568661  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:51 am TransitApp is what I've been using for MTA bus , the last 3 years. Charmpass is a bit clunkier, I kinda wish MTA would not try to develop in house software what already exists elsewhere. (remember the initial app that went with the bus system redesign?)
It's a little clunky, in terms of trip planning, but works pretty well, now that real time bus tracking is almost implemented across the board.
Which bus system redesign? Remember the Greater Baltimore Bus Initiative that got only half done?

MTA Maryland hired Moovit for the Charmpass app... and I think they're closing that contract out for another vendor, last I heard. Tracking the buses? They saw Transit and just tied into it. I think they're still trying to replace the bus tracking infrastructure at base and on the buses themselves.
 #1568713  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:28 pm
scratchyX1 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:51 am TransitApp is what I've been using for MTA bus , the last 3 years. Charmpass is a bit clunkier, I kinda wish MTA would not try to develop in house software what already exists elsewhere. (remember the initial app that went with the bus system redesign?)
Which bus system redesign? Remember the Greater Baltimore Bus Initiative that got only half done?

MTA Maryland hired Moovit for the Charmpass app... and I think they're closing that contract out for another vendor, last I heard. Tracking the buses? They saw Transit and just tied into it. I think they're still trying to replace the bus tracking infrastructure at base and on the buses themselves.
I've got vague memory that initially, one had to look up the MTA assigned bus top number into the app, to do trip planning. I think that was version 1.0 of the charmpass app. I know that maybe half the buses were tracked.
Maybe 7 years ago?
This was before the "redline canceling apology, but not really " Link redesign.
Yeah, The GBBI redesign, that had been in works in.. the 90s, I think.
MTA should maybe have Garret Walker or someone look at the system, and how to integrate it with circulators (which iirc, was initially implemented as the Charles street streetcar was too pricy) and water taxi.
 #1568730  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:57 am I've got vague memory that initially, one had to look up the MTA assigned bus top number into the app, to do trip planning. I think that was version 1.0 of the charmpass app. I know that maybe half the buses were tracked.
Maybe 7 years ago?
This was before the "redline canceling apology, but not really " Link redesign.
Yeah, The GBBI redesign, that had been in works in.. the 90s, I think.
MTA should maybe have Garret Walker or someone look at the system, and how to integrate it with circulators (which iirc, was initially implemented as the Charles street streetcar was too pricy) and water taxi.
The problem is, MTA Maryland doesn't have the money and was cutting the budget down to the bone when I was employed there. It took a few screw-ups after I left to even get the planned new payroll system in place.