Railroad Forums 

• Morris Park Facilitiy Locations

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1564606  by 452 Card

Yes, the other turntable was in Richmond Hill, north of the leads to the yard. It was short. I presume it was erected for the new diesel fleet in the late 50s. It was unused when I hired on in 1974 and thereafter, then obliterated when the yard was modernized in the 90's. Probably buried in place.
 #1564619  by nyandw

Forgot I had this! My source indicates it was a 23' table.

While not exactly in the venue of Morris Park or its shops, this turntable was located directly across from Morris Park Shops and the Montauk branch embankment (see map on this page). It was considered part of the Richmond Hill Storage Yard (visible in the background) and was located east of the yard and just west of the trainmen’s bldg / yardmaster’s office, north of the tracks. It was used to turn observation cars for the parlor car trains or inspection trains, so the observation end could face the rear at all times. Research: Dave Keller Image
130th St., view NW 1950 Richmond Hill Storage Yard
 #1567830  by scopelliti

You can also go to Google Earth and view it in different years (obviously early ones are not that distinct). Wish Google would have an option to take all the different years and produce an animated GIF.
 #1567849  by gamer4616

Time for an update! Please chime in and help ID the numbered locations, thank you.

I can't help you with all of them. Some buildings and trailers I just haven't had the need to go into as part of my job.

12 - Contains the yard office which the engine house foreman is stationed. There is also a lunch room, break room for the hostler (engineer that moves engines around the yard), and a men's restroom.
13 - There are multiple trailers here, one of them is a woman's restroom. The others may be break rooms for maintenance employees?
14 - Wheel Truing House
17 - Sheridan Shops
18 - Jamaica Storage Yard crew facilities (Yardmaster's office is on the top floor)
19 - Train Wash
23 - New engine repair shop
26 - Switchtender's Shanty for Jamaica Storage Yard
27 - Switchtender's Shanty for Morris Park Yard

Among the buildings on the bottom (maybe #6 ??), is an office for the B&B (bridges and buildings) department.
 #1567930  by nyandw

gamer4616 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:17 pm
Time for an update!
Please chime in and help ID the numbered locations, thank you. [/quote]

I can't help you with all of them. Some buildings and trailers I just haven't had the need to go into as part of my job.
Among the buildings on the bottom (maybe #6 ??), is an office for the B&B (bridges and buildings) department.
[/quote]

12 - Contains the yard office which the engine house foreman is stationed. There is also a lunch room, break room for the hostler (engineer that moves engines around the yard), and a men's restroom.
13 - There are multiple trailers here, one of them is a woman's restroom. The others may be break rooms for maintenance employees?
14 - Wheel Truing House
17 - Sheridan Shops
18 - Jamaica Storage Yard crew facilities (Yardmaster's office is on the top floor)
19 - Train Wash
23 - New engine repair shop
26 - Switchtender's Shanty for Jamaica Storage Yard
27 - Switchtender's Shanty for Morris Park Yard

Thank you for addressing the thread as I indicated. I'll redo the map and see what other locations can be identified. :-)
 #1568476  by BuddR32

nyandw wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:35 pm
gamer4616 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:16 pm
nyandw wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:58 am Here are the locations updated: Image
What are the Sheridan Shops?
Repair shop for the diesel fleet
DM/DE repair with all other engines in the larger Engine repair shop?
The original Sheridan Shop is 4 tracks for the diesel coach fleet. Each track can hold two cars.
Around 2000 or so an addition was added for maintaining/repairing the locomotives. I dont know if the addition is considered the Sheridan Shop as well.

Also, one track in the original building was/is used for engines too.