Railroad Forums 

• PAR Business Train (ST 100, 101, 102 & 103; PAR 1 & 2)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1568112  by gokeefe

newpylong wrote:CSX is gonna put it into the dustbin.
I will believe it when I see it. They almost certainly paid extra for that intellectual property. I'm putting a 50/50 marker down that they are in fact entertaining a name change. This was one of Mellon's most cherished parts of his property. I'm stunned he's giving it up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1568127  by newpylong

Who is entertaining a name change? CSX? If you think so, A) that's ridiculous, and B) you didn't read the STB application. The Pan Am Systems and Railways name will be merged into CSX and then sent the way of the dinosaur. A heritage unit is the most you'll ever see.
Last edited by newpylong on Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1568128  by MEC407

The Pan Am intellectual property is still worth a lot of money and is a small cash cow (cash calf?) for licensing fees and royalties. CSX surely plans to do something with it, even if that means selling it to someone else or just keeping it as a subsidiary.
 #1568152  by CN9634

I'm thinking Mellon kept the Pan Am brand rights and logos and that CSX has no intended plan for them anyways. PAS exists on paper well because it already exists. Pan Am Systems is just the vessel to transfer ownership of the RR properties again because it already exists and is the easiest method. Besides, he's a 'Plane' guy end of the day, not a train guy...
 #1568153  by markhb

Unfortunately the section of the P&S agreement that covers the Pan Am branding stuff has been completely redacted. :frowning:
 #1568155  by MEC407

He's owned railroads for 40 years, named the railroad after the town where he grew up, and at the 11th hour ordered one of the locomotives to be repainted into the paint scheme bearing his hometown's name. I wouldn't go so far as saying he's not a train guy. :wink: I think he's a lot more sentimental than many people realize. IMHO, the dispassionate/non-sentimentality of the company comes from the guy Mellon chose to run it. You can take the boy out of Penn Central but you can't take Penn Central out of the boy.
 #1568770  by b&m 1566

NYC27 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:06 pmIt would have been cool to reunite the 573 with this pair but the Conway Scenic wasn’t that interested.
Are you implying that the Conway Scenic was informed but turned down the offer?
 #1580890  by MEC407

The business train was parked at the east end of Rigby Yard in South Portland this morning at 09:00, facing west. I only got a quick glimpse but it looked like it was the full four-car train. I couldn't see what it had for motive power.