Railroad Forums 

• Federal, Night Owl, Twilight Shoreliner (Trains 65, 66, 67)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1565653  by David Benton

hi55us wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:47 pm I can see amtrak including a food box with a bottle of water and a cheese and cracker plate, just so they can bill $50 from the cost of the roomette to the P&L of the cafe car, helping their food and beverage breakeven mandate.
I think that mandates been , missed , and gone.
 #1567906  by STrRedWolf

danib62 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:57 am Anyone booked on the inaugural trips tonight?
I don't know if it's "official inaugural" or "actual first run". My friend was on 66 on the 2nd (aka 66(2)) and they had the sleeper on it.
 #1567919  by gokeefe

It always seems like a pipe dream. Nice to have but never going to happen. Year after year of nothing ... And now suddenly ... Here it is ... Overnight sleepers southbound from Boston for the first time in almost 20 years ...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1567942  by Gilbert B Norman

Lest WE forget, Mr. Rockingham, and the others around here with a few less "whiskers" than UENI learn, the "Bar Harbor" did have Phila-Rockland Pullman lines. Such lasted until "late in the game". The cars were picked up/set out at Brunswick IIRC.

So Rockland was home to more than the "scandalous" (for its time) flick "Peyton Place". This Fairfield Navy Cadet was once granted Liberty there; cute town.
 #1568088  by Gilbert B Norman

What kind of a nutcase are we addressing?

Since The Globe and New York Times parted wsys, not sure what kind of budget they have for a reporter's joyride. I'd like to think Jeff B would spring a Post reporter for such.

Even The New York Times. who has budget to send reporters all over the world for stories (and for whom I pay $1200 a year for "that thump on the porch"; I've been reading The Times since I was 8yo) so far hasn't. You'd think they could spring for a reporter to ride Acela or Regional to Boston, the Sleeper to Wash. then bsck to NY to file the story.
 #1568089  by Gilbert B Norman

For whatever it be worth (FWIW), the New Haven would sell a local ticket South Station -Back Bay. The B&A would also sell South to Trinity Place.

Griefus; couldn't that kid have gotten a ride out of it? Volks. I was once a young railfan myself 65 years ago. I did some "crazies" such as ride from Stamford to Bridgeport on a "one of a kind New Haven Coach, the #1000. That though was all of $1.19. I also wanted to ride first into GCT from Riverside to ride a New Haven Talgo to NH, thence back to Riverside on whatever. Mother and Father had different ideas; so that was that. I had to wait until "90 to ride a Talgo. That was Bilbao to Madrid. I was "not impressed".
 #1568092  by gokeefe

Rockingham Racer wrote:Just wait until service returns to Rockland, LOL.
Depending on how you're keeping score it will be the first passenger service since 1958. I realize Maine Eastern and Maine Coast were both near equivalents (or perhaps superior) but would note neither was a common carrier.

The "First Class" on Maine Eastern in the Alexander Hamilton (former PRR Congressional Parlor Car) was indeed very enjoyable and had an amazing view. Quite possibly among the finest cars ever in service on the line. I don't believe the Rockland section ever had observation cars with rear facing glass.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk