Railroad Forums 

• Green Line Extension Lechmere to Medford

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1554236  by l008com

Charliemta wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:36 pm They'll build short ramps on both sides of the gap, so the LRVs can do an Evil Knievel jump across it. No problem.
As a kid, I used to wonder why they didn't do that. Little ramps instead of train bridges then just jump over the gap. A much simpler and easier to build solution :D
 #1555180  by Yellowspoon

The gap between the old and new still exists. I wonder why it's only 15 feet or so. The rest of the spans appear to be about 120 feet.

Here are two photos of Union Square terminal taken five weeks apart. I have no idea why the rails were installed as the place is far from completion.
000US1018.jpg
000US1018.jpg (77.9 KiB) Viewed 3364 times
Attachments:
000US0912.jpg
000US0912.jpg (79.77 KiB) Viewed 3364 times
 #1555267  by Arborwayfan

Maybe they had the rail and the ties already delivered or on hand, and this way they don't have to store them. They shouldn't deteriorate any faster than if they were in a storage yard someplace.
 #1555276  by Cosmo

My guess is to facilitate moving construction material, OR the station is closer to completion than realized.
JUST guessing.
 #1555301  by neman2

Track construction, especially the final surfacing, thermal adjustment, etc. will not be able to be done once winter conditions take hold. The work of completing the station can continue through the winter using heating methods if necessary.
 #1560488  by Yellowspoon

I don't know how much Covid19 is hindering the extension.

The gap between the old viaduct and the new elevated is finally being filled (photo). They've started to construct Lechmere Station. The entrances at ground level are starting to take shape. The two photos taken 78 days apart show the building in the background going up quickly.

Visible from Inner Belt Road, tracks are being laid in the new yard, also on the up-ramp from visible from McGrath Highway.
 #1561210  by jbvb

I have a sad feeling that the elevation difference at 'the gap' was to preserve the view from the building behind, and some badly conceived, expensive bit of engineering is expected to lower the track inside the existing viaduct walls to suit the new span.
 #1561279  by dieciduej

If I had to guess the gap is for future expansion! :wink:

The transition from a 1910 concrete and steel viaduct to a modern steel structure is a delicate affair. Figuring the 1910 viaduct has had 111 years to settle in its ways, where a brash young upstart steel and concrete pillar will be wiggling around for a bit. A hard tie together would cause an issue for one-or-the-other or both of them.

By leaving a gap and most likely a forgiving connection should lead to harmony in there spatial relationship. When the trackage is laid there will probably be a rail expansion joint at that location.

Here are some photos I took on Friday, January 15, 2021. As you can see the new and the old will not be hard tied together.

Or, someone measured wrong! :P
 #1567922  by theMainer

Heres some interesting news,

the T has put Maps including GLX at the new Ruggles platform. On these maps it states that the (D) will be going to Union Square and the (E) to Tufts.

I thought the plan was the (D) to Tufts and the (E) to Union Square?
 #1568000  by Charliemta

theMainer wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:08 pm the T has put Maps including GLX at the new Ruggles platform.
They should show the Union Square GLX branch as longer, ending a little further to the left. It would show up better that way and be more accurate.
 #1568077  by bostontrainguy

Per the MBTA Carmen's Union, the T is restarting more service systemwide with the summer pick with this note about the Greenline:

Green Line service will be adjusted to match the timetables expected for the opening of the Green Line Extension this fall.
Last edited by bostontrainguy on Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.