Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak ALC-42 Procurement (Long-Distance LD Charger Variant)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1566036  by ST Saint

MattW wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:03 pm So are they skipping Phase VI or is it just going to be the one anniversary locomotive?
Phase VI will be the first five with the semi pointless arrow scheme (from the unveiling). It looks like only one P42 is getting the Phase VI treatment, which means Phase VI was skipped over for the most part, engine wise (since current coaches are all considered Phase VI aka IVb).

It looks like they're going big for Phase VII implying new coaches to replace Amfleet Is will receive a new scheme.
 #1566070  by NH2060

I’m torn on the Phase VII. I wish they would do away with the aqua-lite blue and the sloping colors aren’t what I was hoping for but on the other hand it has more dark blue and is at least a bolder more engaging look than the Phase V Genesis livery. It actually looks reminiscent of the Rocky Mountaineer stripes on their equipment.

I almost wish they would go all in on the Day 1 livery!
 #1566076  by MEC407

The enormous vents on the ALC-42 — and perhaps more importantly, the location of the vents — make it challenging to design a truly good paint scheme for those locomotives, in my opinion.

Having said that, I think this paint scheme comes much closer to greatness than the "official Phase 7" scheme:
Attachments:
siemens_charger_amtrakld01photoshoprailcolor-1.jpg
siemens_charger_amtrakld01photoshoprailcolor-1.jpg (268 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
 #1566085  by Gilbert B Norman

Everything you need, or want, to know about Amtrak livery:

Honestly, if an agency has to go to Congress to ask for "gas money and driver's pay", what are they doing being concerned about new liveries? I realize at the end of '19, they were as good as self-sufficient and that the annual $1.3B was for improving NEC infrastructure, the LD's, and a bloated bureauracy. What counts - the NEC and locally funded regional services - were all "making book".

COVID has decimated so much of every person and business entity's life; there's "the light...." but we're "not yet...."; and until such time, this is no time for dreaming about new liveries.
 #1566086  by STrRedWolf

MEC407 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:25 pm Having said that, I think this paint scheme comes much closer to greatness than the "official Phase 7" scheme:
Agreed. This would of been a good Phase 7.
 #1567455  by electricron

MattW wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:31 pm I wish they had gone with a streamlined nose like brightline or VIA Rail.
Both Brightline (Florida) and VIA (corridor) services are in locations without steep hills where doubling up the consist is not needed. Amtrak prefers elephant style head to tail consists for their locomotives, requiring all those hose and wire hookups and couplers on their noses, basically killing the streamline look. Brightline bookends their trains so they do not have to turn the trains around, and VIA on the east coast is planning on using cab coaches in a bookend configuration too for the same reason. Amtrak turns all their long distance trains around, basically having the time to do so having to clean the trains anyways.