Railroad Forums 

• Trains and operations in Browns Yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1566313  by GSC

I've been by Browns a number of times, but haven't discovered the best spot to railfan from. Any advice? And family safe?

Also, what are the best days and times to see some action? Thanks.
 #1566900  by GSC

I went to Historic Aerials and looked over the South Amboy area. Fascinating. The empty area next to that long curve before South Amboy was all a huge rail yard. So was the yard on the other side of the NY&LB crossing. I looked at 1953. Really cool stuff. You just have to put up with copyright watermarks all over the pics.
 #1566920  by R&DB

PRR had coal unloading facility there, ( to barges to NYC area markets. Also the electric to steam (later electric to diesel) engine switch-outs. And the DM car service from North Jersey ended in SA and had a yard there. Plus the Raritan River RR interchanged with NY&LB in SA. Busy place.
 #1566924  by GSC

A friend and I explored the coal yards and MU yard years ago. Some tracks were still near the pier, some washed out and hanging in the air. Great place to watch the evening commuter parade, PRR engine changes, so much to see and yes, it was a very busy place.
 #1566927  by R&DB

GSC wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:23 pm A friend and I explored the coal yards and MU yard years ago. Some tracks were still near the pier, some washed out and hanging in the air. Great place to watch the evening commuter parade, PRR engine changes, so much to see and yes, it was a very busy place.
One of the busiest places in town was the bar by the station where the commuters would dash in for drinks during the engine change. Sometimes in the Morning as well as the Evening trips.
 #1567127  by GSC

R&DB wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:55 pm
GSC wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:23 pm A friend and I explored the coal yards and MU yard years ago. Some tracks were still near the pier, some washed out and hanging in the air. Great place to watch the evening commuter parade, PRR engine changes, so much to see and yes, it was a very busy place.
One of the busiest places in town was the bar by the station where the commuters would dash in for drinks during the engine change. Sometimes in the Morning as well as the Evening trips.
I watched the "six pack engine change express" many times, from inside and outside of the train. Could've used Long Island RR's "Dashing Dan" as a mascot.
 #1578735  by Bracdude181

Just got word that there may be flooding along the Amboy Secondary near Jamesburg and Dayton, with flooding north of there in Spotswood as well...

Can anyone confirm this???
 #1578804  by CR7876

Amboy Sec is back open with a 10 MPH restriction.

I'm not sure about the flooding on the Freehold or Southern. I know Jamesburg got hit hard so I imagine there are some repairs needed on the FIT.
 #1578807  by Bracdude181

Honestly kinda surprised that Conrail got the tracks reopened so quickly.

Jamesburg was under at least 2 feet of water and the adjacent river rose significantly as well. Might be a while before service is restored.

What about heightstown? Heard that got flooded too.
 #1578849  by planespotting

The damage to Helmetta looks the worst to me given that the underlying roadbed appears to be washed out. Other towns may have been able to come back online quicker as submersed tracks don't always mean damage. I'm guessing it primarily depends on the direction and strength of the rush of water in and out and not just the height/depth of the flood.