• Another piece of the Hojack is gone

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Fireman43

And a pic of the line going west up escarpment ?

Well I at least still have an opportunity to visit this original bridge in your post .
And thanks for the link to the Durand underpass on Rochester Subways page.
Must have been a lonely holdout after the bathhouse was long gone.
  by umtrr-author

Fireman43 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:12 pm Indeed - another Hojack nugget gone - a 'shoulda' visited it location.
Brings up another 'bridge' I had read about a few years ago- and missed- was a concrete pedestrian underpass at Duran Eastman Park that allowed people to get to the beach by going under the Hojack.
Nice description by a local author online but alas no picture!!!!!!!!. Apparently removed in the mid 1990's.
Mark
I don't know if I'm the "local author" to which you refer, but I did write about the underpass as part of a Master Class with author William Least Heat Moon (best known for the book "Blue Highways"). I certainly surprised him when I presented it to the class!

http://www.irwinsjournal.com/ijonline/ij1918.htm

I didn't take any photos of it while it existed (insert "Banghead" here) but I believe that there is at least one in one of the Local History Books from Arcadia.
  by Fireman43

George - yes it was your blog where I first heard of the underpass. I really enjoyed reading more of your memories about this little underpass and your other musings.
(Your reference to author Heat-Moon also reminded me of another of his books- 'River Horse 'and his attempt and success in traveling by a very small boat from the Hudson all the way to the Pacific. But I digress ...........)
Mark
  by nessman

A piece of the ROW behind the West Webster "ice house" is now gone... likely to allow heavy equipment to get in for the house demolition and construction. Also keep in mind that the property owner also owns that small chunk of the ROW now as many adjoining property owners were deeded the ROW over the years.