Railroad Forums 

• SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1518733  by riffian

A flyover on google earth with recent imagery seems to indicate the PRR baggage and Lehigh Valley diner are gone from Winslow Junction. Anyone know if they were scrapped or by some miracle saved?
 #1540330  by Jason

The Township of Monroe had a post on their Facebook page stating that the crossing on 322 is going to be replaced this week. Any idea the last time a train actually crossed 322? I been travelling 322 for the last 11 years and the only thing I've ever seen was tank cars in storage.

"On Monday, April 20, 2020, U.S 322 (South Black Horse Pike) will be closed for all vehicles at the railroad crossing at milepost 32.44 (between Piney Hollow Road and Cains Mill Road). NJDOT will begin a railroad crossing upgrade of the surface and warning devices at that location. This area will not be passable for local traffic. The job is expected to be completed by April 30,2020. Detour signs will be posted in advance of the construction site by the NJDOT contractor. The detour has also been attached to this advisory.

Direct any questions to the Monroe Township Police Traffic Safety Bureau at 856-728-9800 ext 546."
 #1540756  by liftedjeep

2008 was NOT the last time the rails were utilized at the Rt 322 crossing. Misinformation

SRNJ did some repair work to a broken rail a few years back, and ran a couple of cars across to test the repair and crossing protection.

The work scheduled for April 30th is to keep the Rt 322 crossing in operating condition in ordinance with the line's owner.
 #1542333  by R&DB

liftedjeep wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:03 pm Currently, the Winslow Hot Mix plant has been receiving stone loads via truck.

Ben
Perhaps not enough asphalt business to warrant trainloads of stone?
 #1565652  by riffian

Google Earth seems to indicate that all of the old rolling stock has been removed from the siding on the former CNJ at Winslow Junction. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? If so, was it all scrapped in situ or hauled away? It would appear that the Northeastern style caboose on the outboard track may still be there. It's been in very rough shape for many years. If the scrapper has been by, I wonder why they left this one piece. Thanks for any updated info.
 #1565660  by liftedjeep

riffian wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:44 pm Google Earth seems to indicate that all of the old rolling stock has been removed from the siding on the former CNJ at Winslow Junction. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? If so, was it all scrapped in situ or hauled away? It would appear that the Northeastern style caboose on the outboard track may still be there. It's been in very rough shape for many years. If the scrapper has been by, I wonder why they left this one piece. Thanks for any updated info.
SRNJ began thinning out their equipment a few years ago.
The two former Blue Comet coaches, "d'Arrest" & "Westphal" went to (I believe) the NRHS in May of 2017. Just prior to that, both F units and the RDC were sold to the Reading Blue Mountain & Northern. The 44 Tonner was also sold. I'm not certain to whom, but it went via flatbed truck. Most if not all of the oos M420s were cut up.

Ben