Railroad Forums 

• NJTransit if no lines were abandoned

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1564624  by R36 Combine Coach

I doubt all would be in passenger service to date, but several stand out:

NYSW (had it lasted somewhat longer as service ended in 1966, might continued under
NJDOT subsidy. But possibly certain conditions such a merger into CR might be imposed).

High Bridge Branch: State of New Jersey removed the line south of Bartley in early 80s (not
included in USRA/CR). Had practical use connecting the M&E and RVL and also serving local
communities with no bus service.

The lost of trackage particularly in northwest counties (Warren, Sussex) and Ocean County is staggering.

The Black River was not LV, but a PRR branch off the Bel-Del division.
 #1564674  by Ken W2KB

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:54 pm The Black River was not LV, but a PRR branch off the Bel-Del division.

PRR branch from Lambertville to Flemington and thence CRRNJ branch from Flemington to Somerville where it joined the CRRNJ mainline.
 #1564730  by Roadgeek Adam

R&DB wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:40 pm
#1564514 by rollotomasi
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:22 pm
Nice work! Now let's build it all back.
Excuse me while I laugh uncontrollably about the silliness of this statement.

I will note there are at least 4 NYSW branches missing on this. The very short lived Mercer & Somerset is also missing.
 #1564874  by pumpers

Excellent map. A few more for you. The PRR continued north from Belvidere a few miles to end where it hit the Lackawanna. There were thru passenger trains Trenton to Stroudsburg .to about 1950.
Also , I think the West Jersey and Seashore, part of the PRR I think, off of its line to Cape May, had a branch to Wildwood, crossing the bay at Anglesea (north Wildwood). That may have gone away when the ReAding and PRR combined their south Jersey lines into the PRSL around 1930..

Cheers for the Mercer and Somerset. I used to live 50 yards from the r o w and have walked multiple sections. It went out around 1878.

JS
Last edited by pumpers on Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1564875  by pumpers

Rockaway Valley, also short lived, from White House station on the CNJ, almost to Morristown, but not quite.
EDIT: My mistake. It is on the map, right in front of my eyes. Senior moment.
 #1564924  by R&DB

Roadgeek Adam
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:53 pm
R&DB wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:40 pm
#1564514 by rollotomasi
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:22 pm
Nice work! Now let's build it all back.
Excuse me while I laugh uncontrollably about the silliness of this statement.
Good! Glad to give you a giggle. But I was also being somewhat serious in that if it was possible to restore some of that service, we might get some cars and trucks off the roads.
 #1564945  by Roadgeek Adam

pumpers wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:17 am Excellent map. A few more for you. The PRR continued north from Belvidere a few miles to end where it hit the Lackawanna. There were thru passenger trains Trenton to Stroudsburg .to about 1950.
Also , I think the West Jersey and Seashore, part of the PRR I think, off of its line to Cape May, had a branch to Wildwood, crossing the bay at Anglesea (north Wildwood). That may have gone away when the ReAding and PRR combined their south Jersey lines into the PRSL around 1930..

Cheers for the Mercer and Somerset. I used to live 50 yards from the r o w and have walked multiple sections. It went out around 1878.

JS
The M&S was bankrupt in 1879. The line was abandoned for good on January 29, 1880. Blawenburg station survived until September 1930. Happens with a railroad whose purpose seemed to be more on stopping the construction of another than providing strong service.
R&DB wrote:Good! Glad to give you a giggle. But I was also being somewhat serious in that if it was possible to restore some of that service, we might get some cars and trucks off the roads.
It's 2021. We need to look methodically on what is a strong business decision versus what will satisfy everyone. If we can make mini progress it would help. (It would also help if we could rush a couple tunnels, but alas.)
 #1564964  by R&DB

Roadgeek Adam
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:41 pm
. (It would also help if we could rush a couple tunnels, but alas.)
Amen to that brother!
 #1565278  by pumpers

Roadgeek Adam wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:41 pm
pumpers wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:17 am ...
JS
The M&S was bankrupt in 1879. The line was abandoned for good on January 29, 1880. Blawenburg station survived until September 1930. ...
The Pennington Station is still there. Moved slightly from its original location , I think I've read. https://goo.gl/maps/h6g3TeZneFgZFUCa6
Jim S
 #1565325  by R&DB

Missed the lines from Eatontown to Long Branch and East Long Branch to West End Long Branch. Also missing is the Atlantic Highlands to Stone Harbor Branch. Another one is the Red Bank to Port Monmouth line.
Monmouth Park?
Atlantic City Raceway?
Pleasantville to Ocean City?
Reading Brigantine Branch from Pamona to Brigantine?
Earle Naval Weapons Station lines?
 #1567774  by amtrakowitz

Looks like the map presumes that there was a connection between the PRR and CNJ at midtown Elizabeth; there once was, but was long gone when the PRR was elevated. The Elizabethport and Perth Amboy is missing; that was the route those trains from Raritan to Bay Head used IIRC.

Also, the PRR's waterfront passenger terminal was called Exchange Place, not Paulus Hook. Going to presume the map assumes post Erie-Lackawanna too due to absence of Erie Terminal (the "E" on the pillars of the Pavonia PATH station).