Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Cape May (NJ) Seashore Lines Non-Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1561863  by nomis

It's an elder smaller switcher locomotive, with nearly full visibility from the cab both forward (over the long hood) and back (to the coupler) . Under powered compared to typical road or passenger locomotives of that generation. Look up an EMD SW8.
 #1561873  by R&DB

Thanks nomis. Just never heard that term before. We just called them switchers as opposed to road switchers. And I looked up Pine Belt and it was actually called Pine Belt Southern Railroad and was based in Mississippi. Could find no photos of their livery. I guess Clayton used them for a while before Ashland.
 #1561888  by Bracdude181

We had engines like that in this line? Nice! I’m a fan of the oddball power that isn’t really around that much nowadays. (Bring back the GP15s CSX!!!)

Last time we had switchers on the Southern was in 2014 when Conrail delivered two engines to NWS Earle. Would be cool to see something like that in this line again.

Who knows, maybe Seashore Lines will expand to the point where one of those engines would be needed or otherwise justified. The newer ones aren’t completely underpowered at least.
 #1562050  by CR7876

David,

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4745329

Shore Fast Line had two SW1200's. They operated what is now the SRNJ , in the mid to late 80's
It was always my understanding that Ashland Railway operated two Geeps from inception in 86 until they gave it up in 88/89. Perhaps ASHY leased them before the geeps came? I have a few pics and videos from old VHS's of the operation back then, but no mention of pups.
 #1563213  by Bracdude181

The NJ Government just released a statement regarding grant money for freight rail projects in 2021. One of which is for the Dover and Delaware River Railroad, and it says the money will be used in Ocean, Middlesex, and Monmouth counties.

All of these areas are home to at least one Conrail line served by a local out of Browns yard, one of which is the Southern Secondary.

There’s been rumors going around that Chesapeake and Delaware might takeover operations on all central Jersey freight lines from Conrail, meaning Seashore Lines would exchange cars with C&D in Lakehurst and not Conrail. Is this true??
 #1563253  by Ken W2KB

Bracdude181 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:29 pm The NJ Government just released a statement regarding grant money for freight rail projects in 2021. One of which is for the Dover and Delaware River Railroad, and it says the money will be used in Ocean, Middlesex, and Monmouth counties.

All of these areas are home to at least one Conrail line served by a local out of Browns yard, one of which is the Southern Secondary.

There’s been rumors going around that Chesapeake and Delaware might takeover operations on all central Jersey freight lines from Conrail, meaning Seashore Lines would exchange cars with C&D in Lakehurst and not Conrail. Is this true??
That begs the question, is the 10 year contract entered into circa 1999 by Clayton and CMSL still in effect? It likely would be far more cost efficient for C&D to operate the entire distance to Clayton, rather than interchanging with a CMSL/NJSL isolated section of track.
 #1563257  by Bracdude181

@Ken W2KB I’ve looked around on the Surface Transportation Board website, and it looks like the agreement for Seashore Lines to operate the track still stands. They filed an exemption notice in 2009 to run the track.

Looked around for anything on Chesapeake and Delaware and found the documents from when they took over from NS in North Jersey. Nothing about them taking over Central Jersey.

I’ve been doing some research into this, and honestly, I have doubts about this whole C&D thing. Maybe they will take over, maybe they won’t. Not sure if they have the resources to pull it off either.
 #1564804  by Tanker1497

I have previously posted that the route 72 bridge was painted I just needed to take the ride to see for myself. The pictures I posted are what it looks like. I seem to think that under the second span has been cleaned but can't recall what it really looked like it's been years since I've been down there.
On another note I remember that NJT weed sprayer went from Lakehurst to Woodmansie probaly on a fee based deal as no one else has such equipment in the area. On the ride I stayed as close as one can from Lakehurst to Route 72. I had heard that a crossing was being rebuilt RR west (south) of Clayton. This is NOT true, but what is true is that track is spanky clear. With only some tall field grass in places. I saw two large tree accross the tracks. See pictures this is about 1mi RR East of Clayton. Trucks will kill you if you stop on that road!
 #1565302  by Bracdude181

Seashore Lines did another inspection and tree removal from Lakehurst to Woodmansie, but they didn’t get past the railroad crossing off of Mt Misery Pasadena Rd.

Two inspections and tree removal sessions within a six month period is definitely out of the ordinary. Normally any work like this occurs only once a year...

In addition, wires have been routed through the concrete bases for the new crossing at Union Ave in Lakehurst.

Also included are repairs to the Route 72 bridge.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ypcT9cXHZBcV1nsb6