Railroad Forums 

• Federal, Night Owl, Twilight Shoreliner (Trains 65, 66, 67)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1565136  by Gilbert B Norman

Rockingham Racer wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:51 am Gilbert: the price, which is very high, is listed next to the last departure of the day between Boston and Washington.
Mr. Rockingham, as of a few moments ago, the website is not offering "Private Rooms" on 67 (15 APR).

Now where I believe the confusion arose is that a 910A Acela #2159 (15 APR) departure from BOS, with a change (2.5hr lay) at NYP to #97 (15 APR), Meteor, and occupying a "Private Room", shows as an itinerary.
 #1565137  by Rockingham Racer

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:21 am
Rockingham Racer wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:51 am Gilbert: the price, which is very high, is listed next to the last departure of the day between Boston and Washington.
Mr. Rockingham, as of a few moments ago, the website is not offering "Private Rooms" on 67 (15 APR).

Now where I believe the confusion arose is that a 910A Acela #2159 (15 APR) departure from BOS, with a change (2.5hr lay) at NYP to #97 (15 APR), Meteor, and occupying a "Private Room", shows as an itinerary.
Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I was a tad too careless when I saw that $340 ticket price, and ascribed it to #67, which is on the line above that. Have a great day up there on the Racetrack!
 #1565140  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Rockingham et al, and to our Moderator who may or may not allow this off topic post, I have never understood why in my 42 years living along the line, the BNSF Chicago Sub is called The Racetrack by the railfan community.

Although there is a tangent extending from Cicero (MP 6.3) to my house (MP 18.7), MAS is P 70, F(Z) 60, F 50. Many a "manifest, i.e. anything, moves at 25; why burn up more gas running faster if all you need to get to is Galesburg, your crew is "fresh, and you're not going to turn them back to Clyde on continuous time?

Of course, Mr. JB Hunt or Mr. Schneider, would be on the phone with Warren (forget lowerlings like Carl) if either were to observe a Z Train with their trailers or containers on it poking along at 25.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1565153  by lordsigma12345

STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:04 pm Please tell me it's the new Viewliner II sleepers.
I heard a rumor its going to be VL1s - but who knows. I wouldn't be surprised though to eventually see Amtrak essentially use the VL2s exclusively on the Silvers and the VL1s elsewhere.
 #1565154  by Greg Moore

My guess is it'll be V1s, if only because they'll want to use the newer ones on the more popular trains and as they get more of them, they free up V1s.

That said, two other thoughts occur to me:
1) It'll probably align with what's on the Boston section of the LSL, this gives them the ability to more easily rotate equipment in and out.
2) They might also start with a bag-dorm. Gives them another opportunity to do checked baggage, and they don't have to try to fill an entire sleeper.

(now that I'm really dreaming, a set-out sleeper in NYP would be beautiful!)
 #1565156  by bostontrainguy

Greg Moore wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:36 am My guess is it'll be V1s, if only because they'll want to use the newer ones on the more popular trains and as they get more of them, they free up V1s.

That said, two other thoughts occur to me:
1) It'll probably align with what's on the Boston section of the LSL, this gives them the ability to more easily rotate equipment in and out.
2) They might also start with a bag-dorm. Gives them another opportunity to do checked baggage, and they don't have to try to fill an entire sleeper.

(now that I'm really dreaming, a set-out sleeper in NYP would be beautiful!)
No on the bag/dorm. You forgot about the ADA room requirement.
 #1565163  by urr304

It is good to hear that they may be putting sleeping car service on this train. I think it was a travesty that they took off it in first place on their most lucrative and most important routing. That is considering the amount of static the private railroads got when they discontinued sleepers in 1960s on certain overnight routes, and then Amtrak [i.e. the Government] did the same thing.

Amtrak has a complex about switching cars out enroute, only three trains I recall break up or combine consists: Lake Shore Ltd, Empire Builder, and Sunset/Texas Eagle. As stated, switching out sleeper in D.C. could be tied to switch from electric to diesel.
 #1565176  by Greg Moore

Taking the car out at DC, that makes the most sense.
And again, gives them the chance to use it as a protect car if they need to for some reason.

Overall, the extra Viewliners are definitely going to give Amtrak more possibilities!
 #1565208  by west point

"IF" until reservations are available on web site am very skeptical. Night owl sleeper service should be between BOS <> WASH with a V-1 sleeper. That enables LSL compatible . Instead of Newport also gives News WASH is ideal for running cut off sleeper(s) from Crescent and silver service. For each cut off service at WASH frees up one sleeper that does not have to worry by going late into NTP and SSY.

Planning for daily service had better start now as the stimulus bill will be signed very soon. How sleeper service will be scheduled needs to be planned as well. The partial V-2s now in service changes how sleeper service can be scheduled as different from Jan 2020.
 #1565288  by David Benton

Greg Moore wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:59 pm Taking the car out at DC, that makes the most sense.
And again, gives them the chance to use it as a protect car if they need to for some reason.

Overall, the extra Viewliners are definitely going to give Amtrak more possibilities!
Off at DC also allows them to send it to Hialeah , which it needs to once every cycle, or 2. Could go Boston, LSL return to NYP, then Meteor to Florida , but thats a long cycle , and lots of switching.
 #1565298  by danib62

I wonder since they're set off at DC if they will let you board early/sleep in late.
 #1565315  by tpsmyth01

It looks like as of this morning sleepers are now bookable between BOS and WAS.
 #1565318  by danib62

Something is off with the pricing. A sleeper for 1 adult on train 66 departing on 4/5 is $288 but you add a second adult and the price jumps to $438... A regular coach fare is currently $49 so not sure why the price jumps $150.
 #1565322  by Red Wing

That's good that it finally posted. When I searched the web after I made my initial post I couldn't find anything. I also verified it through the app.
 #1565323  by markhb

I don't know if there was an official press release, but Amtrak did mention it in a reply here. Off at DC is definitely the deal. No idea on the weird pricing, though.