Railroad Forums 

• Glassboro-Camden Line (Light Rail)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1561923  by CharlieL

Sorry, 100M/Mile is waay outta bounds. $1.8bil for 18 miles of track? I think ROW is mostly there already. It would be nice to have, BUT.

Politicians manage to buy all of the eminent domain land yet? Or is it $80m/mile for studies and $20m/mile for construction?
 #1561973  by WashingtonPark

I was on the committee about 10 years ago when I was told the cost to do the study on where the Gloucester City station should be was $100,000. The finished study was presented by a couple of kids who couldn't have been 25 yet and, of course, the final determination was it should stay right where it was after considering two other impractical locations. Even Mayor James, a dyed in the wool Democrat, was beside himself that all this time and money was wasted on the obvious. We need the line in South Jersey. I will wholeheartedly agree with you, though, that, IMO, the amount of pork which goes with these projects is obscene. The three to two track ROW is there except for the entrance into Camden. Many of the bridges were rebuilt in steel by Conrail and still have the second track space already there. It's not like the track isn't used. For over a hundred years it was a passenger line. My point is not to defend the money and time wasted on projects we need. My point was simply that when North Jersey wants something NJT always seems to find a way. Except for a very poorly scheduled train to AC, which should have been light rail, South Jersey gets nothing from them but very basic bus service.
 #1561986  by Roadgeek Adam

$100,000 on a study.......

Amtrak offers those nice shelters for $500,000. $500,000. The majority of that probably is labour costs. The materials are not that much. Any of the stations in these 18 miles of track is what maybe $50,000-$60,000 each depending on how it is built? Most are glorified sidewalks on light rail. We're not trying to build a PATCO extension on these tracks where it will cost much more.

As for Vineland and Millville, it's another 15 miles just to Vineland, and 6 to Millville from Vineland. The cost returns might not be very strong at that point and I suspect Vineland and Millville would have to fork up a lot of money for a study. (Just for example, if you were to extend the Northern Branch past Tenafly, it would be another 5 miles itself to Northvale with higher ridership (and more NIMBYs)).
 #1561998  by CharlieL

I agree south Jersey could use a LOT more commuter rail, light or otherwise. It is growing like Topsy. The philly commute area extends almost to Manahawkin (still sparse) and that's quite a radius. And point to point to other than to Philadelphia is also growing rapidly. But it ain't gonna happen at 100m/mile. But of course a lot of studies (by well-paid cronies) are sure to happen.
 #1562018  by lensovet

Reading some of these posts i wonder if i'm on railroad.net or cars.net.
The only thing needing construction is two switches near Pavonia Yard where the River Line is parallel to Conrail
i'm going to move all this shortly into its own thread, but for crying out loud, please at least familiarize yourself with what this project actually is on the project website. at least one track is being installed for the whole length of the alignment. some sections will have 2 new tracks laid down. only 5 out of the 14 stations will be "simple sidewalk" stations; the rest will be park and rides of various capacities which come with all the property acquisition and related costs.
 #1562202  by WashingtonPark

lensovet wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:17 am Reading some of these posts i wonder if i'm on railroad.net or cars.net.
The only thing needing construction is two switches near Pavonia Yard where the River Line is parallel to Conrail
i'm going to move all this shortly into its own thread, but for crying out loud, please at least familiarize yourself with what this project actually is on the project website. at least one track is being installed for the whole length of the alignment. some sections will have 2 new tracks laid down. only 5 out of the 14 stations will be "simple sidewalk" stations; the rest will be park and rides of various capacities which come with all the property acquisition and related costs.
LOL That's what drove me off the board the first time. PATCO had done extensive testing during off hours when I worked there that conclusively proved the bridge could not handle additional trains from Glassboro entering and exiting the line during rush hour without causing massive backups. I had keyboard warriors telling me that I didn't understand ATC and that they had worked it all out on paper that would prove that there was no issue with it. I don't think it would have mattered one bit if they read the project report.
 #1564937  by pateljones

Most encouraging. How would one transfer from the light rail to Patco to get into Philadelphia? The documents do not state where the Light rail goes into the Rand Transit Center.
 #1564946  by Roadgeek Adam

pateljones wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:47 pm Most encouraging. How would one transfer from the light rail to Patco to get into Philadelphia? The documents do not state where the Light rail goes into the Rand Transit Center.
I would presume it's the same as it is now at WRTC with the River Line. Station is outside at street level, you walk in and go downstairs.
 #1565167  by GojiMet86

Final EIS report: http://glassborocamdenline.com/post/final_eis_document

The first map is Figure 1-4: Corridor Ownership on page 8 of the Projecy Description:
http://glassborocamdenline.com/images/u ... ption_.pdf

The track diagram is Figure 2: Proposed GCL Alignment Track Chart on page 10 of the Transit Analysis Technical Report:
http://glassborocamdenline.com/images/u ... Report.pdf

#1572497  by PRSL2005

What do you all think of a Talgo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talgo with a dual-power electro-diesel locomotive that runs on PATCO and CSAO? It can be a one seat ride into Phila. If so they can also run to AC, even to Tuckahoe? and replace the cars on the RiverLine that can run into Phila. Yes, I know the ben can't handle more trains, but a tunnel is the only way to fix that problem. And that is a "HOLE" different subject! :-D