Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1564929  by MACTRAXX

Norton: Good find in one of "Dan's Papers" - The "East Hampton Summer Sun"about this August 1976
Amagansett derailment. GP38-2 250 was mentioned - just months old from EMD at that time.

This Dan's Paper edition turned out to not only have information in regard to this wreck the writing about
the 50th anniversary of the Pickle Works wreck in Calverton is a good historical read.

Two other wrecks are noted - one in East Hampton back in 1966 - and a French grade crossing mishap.
The content is found on the first ten pages of this posted Dan's Paper edition.

On page 10 one of the editors under the "Chief Typhoon" Dan Rattiner is none other than Ron Ziel.
Anyone that has read any of Dan's Papers in past decades remembers Dan Rattiner had an interesting
sense of humor in his writing style seeing the lighter side of situations such as these from this edition. :wink:

MACTRAXX
 #1565129  by dieciduej

freightguy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:17 am Wow, great old school reporting vs today!
Back when the Mk. 1 human had a longer attention span and not the present 280 character limit!
 #1571382  by Train dispatcher

OK Sorry to log in late with this but I can tell you what happened. I was the third trick chief that night. A westbound from Montauk ran through the west switch at AG with the switch being in the reverse position. Why that was, I don't remember anymore. This, of course, bent the switch points but had no effect on the westbound train. No 2 used to run from Jamaica to Montauk at 1:02 AM arriving at Montauk at 3:56 AM. Although we weren't supposed to know, the train oftentimes didn't stop at stations unless the crew signaled the engineer that there was actually a passenger that needed to detrain. When No 2 got to the west switch AG, it was moving much faster than it would have, if it had made the stop. When the train hit the bent points, that caused the derailment.

Since I was a relatively new chief I stayed a while on the first trick trying to help clean up the situation. I don't remember the details but I remember the wreck train we sent to assist derailed as well and an 80 ton wrecker going out by road wound up with a number of flat tires and was also delayed.