Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1564932  by newpylong

But Mohawk loses their 3 and North Adams 1 crew. My guess is some of those jobs are going to be XO to Gardner or Worcester or XO to Ayer with a set out in Deerfield. If they do any track work there is no reason it can't or shouldn't be done on one crew.

Another crew set might be a Rotterdam and VTR turn, etc.

There are a lot of things they can do with a clean slate (and a little track work heh).
 #1564939  by Trinnau

GuilfordRailSD45 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:36 am Yes, DOBO always runs with NHN power (except for the rare occasions that NHN has leased an engine from Pan Am, like the 5972 recently). I wonder if CSX would have any reason to change this arrangement (i.e. swap NHN for CSX power in Dover), especially seeing as NHN 3823 & 3825 are now both PTC-equipped to run in T territory.
CSX has stated in the filing they intended to install the other version of PTC (I-ETMS as opposed to ACSES) outside of MBTA territory where Amtrak runs. So NHN would need to dual-equip their locomotives with I-ETMS after just finishing equipping them with ACSES.

Another option on the other side of the coin would be to allow NHN to run the trains into Boston via trackage rights.
 #1564941  by PBMcGinnis

mrj1981 wrote:I know the staffing chart above only covers a portion of the system (the PAS portion, apparently), but I'd be extremely curious if anyone has any context of what the staffing levels might have looked like at these places, say, the day before Mellon and company bought the system? I'm sure it's lower now, but I'm curious *how much* lower.
It would not be a fair comparison to line up 1981-1984 pre Guilford train crew positions against 2021 numbers. You are talking about an era 40 years ago of 5 man crews (Engineer, Conductor, 2 Brakemen and a Flagman) on all trains versus 2 man crews since 1987. Big G went to 2 man crews in the strike year of 1987.

Also - Pan Am is constantly hiring Conductors and Engineers now since the pay scale is less than CSX, and Keolis and ConnDot are always offering higher wages too. If anything the rate of attrition will slow down when CSX Labor Agreements come into place.
 #1564983  by artman

GuilfordRailSD45 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:36 am Yes, DOBO always runs with NHN power (except for the rare occasions that NHN has leased an engine from Pan Am, like the 5972 recently). I wonder if CSX would have any reason to change this arrangement (i.e. swap NHN for CSX power in Dover), especially seeing as NHN 3823 & 3825 are now both PTC-equipped to run in T territory.
A few weeks ago I was walking adjacent to NHN in Somersworth and saw CSX power along with NHN power enroute to Ossipee. I don't know if this is routine
 #1564993  by b&m 1566

Trinnau wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:37 pmAnother option on the other side of the coin would be to allow NHN to run the trains into Boston via trackage rights.
That's where I was going with my question. Does CSX want to continue the DOBO/BODO or would they prefer to let NHN crews handle it? I didn't know if that was something that was included in the STB filing.
 #1565002  by Shortline614

The two "Notice of Intent to Participates (Without Comment)" have been sent in today by IAM District Lodge 19 and Transportation Communications Union/IAM. Does anybody know who these two groups are?

https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... 301714.pdf
https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... 301715.pdf

A few days ago CSX sent in some more documents to "Modify/Supplement Prior Filing or the Record." It does contain some good information some of which has already been posted here.

https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... 301706.pdf
 #1565004  by MEC407

Shortline614 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:14 pm The two "Notice of Intent to Participates (Without Comment)" have been sent in today by IAM District Lodge 19 and Transportation Communications Union/IAM. Does anybody know who these two groups are?
https://www.districtlodge19.com/about

https://www.goiam.org/territories/tcu-union/about-tcu/
 #1565042  by Red Wing

So what will CSX farm out to other railroads? We know G&W will be dealing with PAS, It looks like G&U will be doing some work for CSX soon in the Franklin area. Mass Coastal is doing CSX work in much of Southeastern Mass. VTR may very well run everything north of Lowell.

Much of Maine I could see farmed out for local deliveries, same with Portsmouth area and the Boston area.
 #1565044  by jamoldover

Where did the idea that VTR/NEGS would handle everything on the Northern come from? Was that something I missed when reading through the filing, or is that based on other information from some other source that may (or may not) be reliable?
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1565046  by Red Wing

Sir as posted except for G&W and Mass Coastal is a guarantee. I'm sorry that it did not make it clear that I was looking into the crystal ball for VTR and G&U and no to my knowledge this was not in the filing but some people in the "know" seem to have hinted at the VTR also.
 #1565048  by newpylong

Day 1 nothing will be "farmed out".

Long term, the word is VTR will operate the Northern at some point with operations based out of Nashua yard. Consider me reliable or not.

The Boston area nor Portsmouth are going to be leased most likely. No incentive there.

The ones to look at more are the Rumford and (to a lesser extent) Hinkley branches. I think they will keep the Brunswick under their own operations. They are paid to maintain it, the track is good.
 #1565049  by MEC407

Sale/abandonment of the Bucksport Branch seems pretty plausible at some point, too.