Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1564961  by R&DB

Yeah Pumpers, it's a customer wasteland. There used to be some customers like Ft. Monmouth, Republic Waste, etc., but all gone now. Your mention of the Phoenix Powder Co. several posts back brought back my memory of the other power plant in the area. If you are familiar with the Maxim Rd. area, Hudson Maxim had and experimental smokeless power plant in the woods Northeast of the crossing. Hudson's plant was at one time a major area employer. As an aside Hudson's brother Hiram as the inventor of the machine gun. Hudson helped supply him ammunition. The crossing was originally called Hendricksons and was flag stop. A simple station was built around the time Maxim built his plant in the woods and was named for him. I lived on Maxim Rd. from 1982-1992 and remember sand trains blowing for the crossing, sometimes late night. Every now and then we would be stopped by a sand train and they were generally 50-60 cars.
 #1564994  by Bracdude181

Won’t be able to provide any info on SA31s power today as me and a friend are railfanning in another area. I’ll report what I hear on the scanner as best I can in the meantime.
 #1565010  by RailsEast

Elephants on the Southern today; CSX 6160 and CSX 4405 with 17 for Woodhaven, approaching Maxwell Rd at 4:55 in the pm.
 #1565021  by OCtrainguy

Would've loved to have gotten out of the office early, but my boss was messaging me as the day wound down. As the saying goes, there is always next week.
 #1565023  by R&DB

RailsEast wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:52 pm Elephants on the Southern today; CSX 6160 and CSX 4405 with 17 for Woodhaven, approaching Maxwell Rd at 4:55 in the pm.
Did they ever remove the 2 damaged cars from Woodhaven? Is there room for 17 if the damaged cars are still there?
 #1565064  by GSC

Where was the Phoenix Powder Works mentioned in video a page or two back? The narrator keeps saying he's walking east, but from where? Thanks.
 #1565071  by Bracdude181

@R&DB I am unaware of weather or not they moved the damaged cars. By the time the train got to Cross Street and began turning around it was very late, (Past 10 PM) and I was too tired to continue the chase. My friend lives about 10 minutes from Woodhaven, so I’ll ask him to check out the area if he can.
 #1565084  by Tanker1497

GSC wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:31 pm Where was the Phoenix Powder Works mentioned in video a page or two back? The narrator keeps saying he's walking east, but from where? Thanks.
Its located RR East of Farmingdale. Its a nice hike up the tracks and if you have a good RR eye you can see remnents of the siding, and follow that back into the woods. If I remember he gets a little lost in the video I posted. Its a better hike before the ticks get out and you need to be quite mobile. As I said I found a Rare Battery Rest, know now of only a few to exsist. I'm confident there are more as there should of be 8 per battery bank and the box held lots of wet batteries. Its the CD35 undinbosed version shown in link.
https://glassian.org/Battery/American/index.html