Railroad Forums 

• Future of the 4 Former Diesel Lines

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1564262  by Silverliner II

ExCon90 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:27 pm
rcthompson04 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:06 pm 4 - Going back to West Chester seems to be a battle between cost and impact. I am sure the borough would love it, but would many people still drive to Exton or Malvern instead of going to a station closer to their home. I am about 2 miles from the old West Chester station, but I would likely have a shorter commute if I went to Exton or Malvern still.
For just that reason I'm still not convinced that electrification of the rest of the line to West Chester--let alone the associated track and signal work--is justified; it's just too twisty, and even if they ran express from Media with only one or two intermediate stops--Swarthmore? Secane?--I think you could still beat it by using Exton or Malvern.
(I'd still leave West Trenton to North Jersey in 5th place, even with 4th place vacant.)
The thing to remember is that the Paoli-Thorndale line is virtually at capacity, especially in regards to parking at stations. Restoring service to West Chester not only opens up an alternative to Exton for people closer to that area, but can attract new ridership, especially from/to the University.

As for running times to Center City, between West Chester and Exton, it may be a wash. Odds are, Cheyney would likely be the only intermediate stop between West Chester and Middletown (formerly Wawa). Track speeds would likely be at least 40mph, if not 50mph after the upgrades. And with stations not as close together, coupled with an express service during the peak periods, it may be a bit faster than going to Exton.
 #1565014  by PHLSpecial

rcthompson04 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:06 pm 4 - Going back to West Chester seems to be a battle between cost and impact. I am sure the borough would love it, but would many people still drive to Exton or Malvern instead of going to a station closer to their home. I am about 2 miles from the old West Chester station, but I would likely have a shorter commute if I went to Exton or Malvern still.
I suggested this in the Philly transit future thread. Instead of regional rail to West Chester about turning the 104 bus route back to a trolley? Using Catenary, DMU or Hydrogen Fuel cell train? Maybe that would be a cheaper solution and has potential for better ridership numbers than regional rail.
 #1565027  by ExCon90

There doesn't seem to be any room to restore the old West Chester line, especially to provide platforms at stops. Running time wouldn't be much better than when it was a trolley, and you'd still have to change to the El at 69th St. No hope of being time-competitive with Exton or Paoli. Also, there are some fine-looking trees in the median now -- expect a major uproar about sacrificing them.
 #1630930  by scratchyX1

PHLSpecial wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:29 pm
I suggested this in the Philly transit future thread. Instead of regional rail to West Chester about turning the 104 bus route back to a trolley? Using Catenary, DMU or Hydrogen Fuel cell train? Maybe that would be a cheaper solution and has potential for better ridership numbers than regional rail.
It would make a nice trolley bus route.
 #1630931  by JeffK

Emmett wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:16 am If septa did go back and do diesel service what would they use. they only have 2 HEP diesels, 60/61. So what else would they use? they'd probably go for old geeps i'd imagine.
I doubt they'd use existing equipment except maybe on a trial basis. Newer dual-power units would be more flexible. But that of course means $$$$$
 #1630966  by Silverliner II

Emmett wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:16 am If septa did go back and do diesel service what would they use. they only have 2 HEP diesels, 60/61. So what else would they use? they'd probably go for old geeps i'd imagine.
EXO has dual modes they don't really need any more....
 #1630981  by scratchyX1

Silverliner II wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:25 pm
EXO has dual modes they don't really need any more....
I was about to say, they are about a decade old, and NJT staff could be poached to maintain them.
 #1635569  by Nasadowsk

Emmett wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:32 am GP40 in septa scheme would look so cool
But what good would it be? The youngest GP-40 is over 50 years old, they don’t have much power, and would likely need a rebuild to meet anything approaching modern emissions standards. It’d be better in the long run to just buy new. Or expand via electrification, and avoid the whole issue of non-standard equipment altogether.
 #1635601  by dreese_us

If Septa is unwilling to go the route of dual mode locomotives, (I believe the last ACS-64 order should have been split) so they could go back to Quakertown and Reading. Brookville offers passenger locomotives, BL20GH used by MetroNorth and BL36PH used by Tri Rail.