Railroad Forums 

• All things Harrisburg (Keystone) Line

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1561108  by electricron

rcthompson04 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:56 pm On the Acela topic, pre COVID a few of the Keystones were only a few minutes slower than an Acela. Right now it appears there is a Keystone that is only 4 minutes slower than an Acela in the late morning PHL to NYP. For a third of the price I will take 4 minutes longer.
The current Acela trains are limited to 135 mph max speeds in New Jersey, the new Acela 2 trains will be able to reach max speeds of 165 mph in New Jersey. That should increase the time savings over Amfleet trains that will continued to be limited to just 125 mph max speeds in New Jersey. 40 mph speed difference over 10 mph speed difference should amount to some more time savings.
Will it be worth triple fares, only time will tell.
 #1561109  by njtmnrrbuff

Yes those Acela II trainsets will be able to do 165 in NJ down the road and that will certainly reduce some more travel time off the schedule between NYP and PHL over taking an Amfleet set. Remember that in a couple of years, the Amfleets are going to get replaced. That includes the ones that run on the Keystone Corridor. In the next few months, we will know what will replace the Amfleets.
 #1561113  by west point

Just remember for the Acela-2s to do they will have to test to 181.5 MPH That is 165 + `16.5 = 181.5 That 16.5 is 10% of the 165 required by present FRA rules.
I have not heard that the tests so far have reached over what 165?
 #1561130  by electricron

west point wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:16 pm Just remember for the Acela-2s to do they will have to test to 181.5 MPH That is 165 + `16.5 = 181.5 That 16.5 is 10% of the 165 required by present FRA rules.
I have not heard that the tests so far have reached over what 165?
Where in the FRA regulations did you pull the 10% higher speed test from?

FRA regulation on calculating max speed
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/213.329
FRA regulation on testing max speed
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/213.345#e

specific clause under discussion lately:
"(2) When stage-one testing has successfully demonstrated a maximum safe operating speed and cant deficiency, stage-two testing shall commence with the subject equipment over a representative segment of the route as identified in paragraph (e)(1) of this section.
(i) A test run shall be conducted over the route segment at the speed the railroad will request FRA to approve for such service.
(ii) An additional test run shall be conducted at 5 m.p.h. above this speed."

5 mph over rated speed is 10% or higher at rated speeds 50 mph or less. At 165 mph rated speed, 170 mph is just 3% higher. Math=170/165 x 100 = 103.030303
 #1564942  by Train60

I wonder what Amtrak thinks of this.

H.R.609 — 117th Congress (2021-2022)
The bill requires Amtrak to convey specific properties to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, including the Keystone Line and all stations between Harrisburg and Philadelphia, excluding 30th Street.

The text of the bill can be found here:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-con ... l/609/text
 #1564959  by photobug56

Whose bright idea is it to have Amtrak give these properties to PA? And does it make any sense? And would PA have the money to take good care of any piece of it, let alone all of it?
 #1564966  by STrRedWolf

photobug56 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:24 am Whose bright idea is it to have Amtrak give these properties to PA? And does it make any sense? And would PA have the money to take good care of any piece of it, let alone all of it?
It's on the site as the sponsor: Rep. Smucker, Lloyd [R-PA-11]
 #1564998  by Cbattz

Hey all first time commenter, long time follower! I'm taking a trip from nyp-pao on Sunday the 14th and I noticed the trip time is much longer than standard - 2.5hrs. Upon further inspection, when you book a trip for that day from phl-ard, Amtrak says it will take over 30 mins. will they be doing trackwork that involves a reverse move back through zoo or something? The reverse trip between ard-phl is the standard 12 or so mins.
 #1565040  by STrRedWolf

Cbattz wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:40 pm Hey all first time commenter, long time follower! I'm taking a trip from nyp-pao on Sunday the 14th and I noticed the trip time is much longer than standard - 2.5hrs. Upon further inspection, when you book a trip for that day from phl-ard, Amtrak says it will take over 30 mins. will they be doing trackwork that involves a reverse move back through zoo or something? The reverse trip between ard-phl is the standard 12 or so mins.
They're doing track and station work until April 30th:
https://www.amtrak.com/alert/keystone-s ... anges.html
 #1565045  by CNJGeep

Switch replacement at Zoo, though I'm not sure exactly where, means either a trip over the Berry and back through the subway, or down 2 Through Freight to the JO. I think SEPTA is bussing that weekend.
 #1565061  by rcthompson04

Train60 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:57 pm I wonder what Amtrak thinks of this.

H.R.609 — 117th Congress (2021-2022)
The bill requires Amtrak to convey specific properties to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, including the Keystone Line and all stations between Harrisburg and Philadelphia, excluding 30th Street.

The text of the bill can be found here:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-con ... l/609/text
Smucker seems to have some real beef with Amtrak for some reason. As someone whose taken Amtrak and SEPTA on the line I am adamantly opposed. The Keystone Service is airline first class compared to SEPTA bargain airline at the back.
 #1566343  by Lackawanna565

Any progress on installing the new signal system from Park to Paoli. Haven't checked the area out in years. I might go down this summer.