Railroad Forums 

• Hereford RR remants in Pittsburg NH

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1359998  by svobronco

This line ran from the border at Beechers Falls VT to Lime Ridge Quebec, abandoned in 1925. It went from QC into a remote part of Pittsburg NH for .75mi and then back into QC. Does anyone know if there is any visible evidence remaining in Pittsburg? RIght of way or abutments etc. Google maps doesn't show anything obvious, but it probably has been logged a dozen times since abandonment.
 #1360127  by trainsinmaine

There is a short section of the Hereford that can be found on old USGS topo maps of Indian Stream and on the current Google Earth image of the area. You have to do some hunting. Go first to the old maps. You'll find the section of the railroad located along Halls Stream (on the border), north-northwest of Pittsburg village and probably a mile or two due north of Comstock Hill.

Then go to the Google Earth image of Cookshire, Quebec and trace your way south-southeast. It's easy to find the old roadbed from Cookshire to Sawyerville; south of there you have to look really closely. You'll lose it at times, but you'll pick it up along tree lines, gentle arcs, and highways down through some of the little border villages and into East Hereford. Some sections of it, I think, have been paved and are now used for local roads.

It appears that there was only a very short section, almost right on the border, that wound through Pittsburg. It looks like it might be walkable, though I wouldn't want to try it --- your presence would likely be noted by the Border Patrol rather quickly.
 #1360150  by svobronco

Thanks for the insight. Where does one find old USGS maps? I've stared at Google Earth and loose the railbed before it gets to the tongue of NH where it crossed. I do want to check it out on foot. I've run into Border Patrol many time snowmobiling near the border, they don't get upset at all once they find you're another set of eyes.
 #1360170  by svobronco

Arthur, thanks for the hint I found it very easily at UNH. The crossing was in an entirely different location than I thought it was. I was going by a rough map in the book The Rail Lines of Northern New England that showed it crossing at the nub in the very north western part of Pittsburg. The ROW is visible on Google Earth, now I'll just have to check it out in person.

Thanks guys
 #1564678  by danbour

svobronco wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:25 am Arthur, thanks for the hint I found it very easily at UNH. The crossing was in an entirely different location than I thought it was. I was going by a rough map in the book The Rail Lines of Northern New England that showed it crossing at the nub in the very north western part of Pittsburg. The ROW is visible on Google Earth, now I'll just have to check it out in person.

Thanks guys
Hello: my friend and i are also looking for this information as well as any information of a private logging railroad that went north from there into western most pittsburg. any information you can provide would be very helpful. thank you, Dan bour