Railroad Forums 

• Say goodbye to the WSDOT Talgos

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1564618  by John_Perkowski

They left Washington Feb 28 on their way to a scrapper in Southern California

Kalmbach/Trains photo by Steve Carter
5A6BBC64-89E3-4C30-AD20-8B5F041C0B0B.jpeg
5A6BBC64-89E3-4C30-AD20-8B5F041C0B0B.jpeg (105.28 KiB) Viewed 2951 times
 #1564630  by Matt Johnson

Unfortunate, but at least they got a little over 20 years of use out of them. I'm guessing maybe they could've gone another 10, but I suspect they wouldn't have been around forever like the Amfleets even had the accident not occurred.

I do hope the newer Talgos stick around for a while!

#1564665  by scratchyX1

bill613A wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:35 pm Why not spruce them up a bit and use them on the Mobile-New Orleans service?
WSDOT has a contract where a Talgo technician is on each train, and Talgo maintains them.
Amtrak does not, and the mobile route isn't curvey enough to get time savings out of them.
 #1564669  by Pensyfan19

Very saddened to see these Talgos retired. Weren't these cars prematurely retired since they were blamed for the derailment in 2018 instead of the driver doing 79 on a 30 curve?
 #1564680  by Matt Johnson

Pensyfan19 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:20 pm Very saddened to see these Talgos retired. Weren't these cars prematurely retired since they were blamed for the derailment in 2018 instead of the driver doing 79 on a 30 curve?
Yeah, specifically it had something to do with nylon or kevlar belts that had been added per FRA requirements to help secure the wheel mounts and had been found to be deteriorated in the derailment investigation, contributing to the wheels becoming deadly projectiles. Presumably they could have had those replaced, but maybe a kludge was no longer deemed sufficient. In any case, the Series 8 Talgos are unaffected and I still hope to see the Wisconsin sets augment the 2 remaining Cascades sets.
 #1564682  by David Benton

Talgo proposed adding a steel strap. Other than that , there is no evidence to suggest the Talgo car performed any worst than a amfleet or horizon in the same crash. As far as passenger safety goes , (as opposed to damage to the cars), i would of rather taken my chances in a modern Talgo , than a 50 year old car that was designed when no crash technology was available.
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Embedded quotes removed for brevity
 #1564742  by USRailFan

Matt Johnson wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:02 am Unfortunate, but at least they got a little over 20 years of use out of them. I'm guessing maybe they could've gone another 10, but I suspect they wouldn't have been around forever like the Amfleets even had the accident not occurred.

I do hope the newer Talgos stick around for a while!

Damn, that driving trailer's gotta be some of the ugliest I've ever seen...
 #1564750  by Gilbert B Norman

UWANNAEM, Mr. US Fan (from overseas)?

I must wonder if RENFE would even want them.

For myself, I missed out on the New Haven's varietal (saw it go by once or twice), and let's just say, "my one and only" Bilbao-Madrid during '90 had best be left at just that.

I have the feeling that it will be well into post-COVID before any state level agency can see their way to ordering new cars, so those Talgos remaining on our shores will be around for a while - complete with their "Duckbill Platypus" NPCU's. :(
 #1564849  by bill613A

scratchyX1 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:49 pm
bill613A wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:35 pm Why not spruce them up a bit and use them on the Mobile-New Orleans service?
WSDOT has a contract where a Talgo technician is on each train, and Talgo maintains them.
Amtrak does not, and the mobile route isn't curvey enough to get time savings out of them.
If it's curves you want why not try them a 2nd NY-PITT train
 #1564856  by wigwagfan

scratchyX1 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:49 pmthe mobile route isn't curvey enough to get time savings out of them.
As mentioned before, Amtrak's Horizon equipment is now approved to run at T-speeds on the BNSF between Vancouver, BC and Portland.

The UP never approved higher speeds for Talgo equipment and really the only benefit would be between Portland and Canby, and a couple curves between Jefferson and Millersburg.

To be honest: Good riddance. Having ridden the Talgos many times they were overrated, and I did not find them comfortable. Half the time the seat was positioned next to a pillar rather than a window, the seat pitch was not great, and the walk from Car 9 to the Bistro was as enjoyable as trying to juggle on a Metro bus aboard a Washington State Ferry on a stormy day.
 #1564884  by NH2060

I say good riddance too. Those are some of the ugliest trains Amtrak and any US railroad ever used. I would prefer a reboot of the NYC/NYNH&H “Xplorer”/“Dan’l Webster” in Cascades livery.

Now if Alston were to make a non-powered Avelia Liberty push-pull consist with a single power car-shaped cab car that could be coupled to a Charger that would make for a very nice looking train.