Railroad Forums 

• Where is this caboose located in Framingham, Mass ?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1563948  by Pat Fahey

Hi
I was watching Boston 10 news and they were doing a story in Framingham, and I saw this caboose. where is it located in the city of Framingham, Mass.???
With_Help_From_Community_Framingham’s_Jack’s_Abby_Perseveres_Through_Pandemic_–_NBC_Boston (2).png
With_Help_From_Community_Framingham’s_Jack’s_Abby_Perseveres_Through_Pandemic_–_NBC_Boston (2).png (672.93 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
 #1564633  by BandA

That caboose houses MWRTA (MetroWest Regional Transit Authority) employees, as part of the "FDR" (Framingham Downtown Renaissance). I'm guessing they wanted to increase parking lot security by locating workers there. The parking lot is owned by the MBTA the MWRTA manages it, hence the twin logos.

I had to google for about 10 minutes to figure out what the FDR TLA was (Three Letter Acronym), apparently not the former president, nor his congestive heart failure nor the Framingham Heart Study.
 #1570989  by Pat Fahey

Hi all
First I would to Thank those who have had answered my previous questions, I do appreciate your answers.
Now I have another question, the caboose that is across from the station in Framingham, mass, see photo, does anyone know its origin, and its original number, and its number when it was a Conrail caboose?
When I took the photo last week, I could not find any numbers, on it.
The caboose looks like ex new Haven class NE-6 and as always Thank you, Pat
Framingham, Mass Photo by Pat Fahey
Framingham, Mass Photo by Pat Fahey
NE-6 Framingham , Mass Photo by Pat Fahey.jpg (50.71 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
 #1571096  by jwhite07

According to this Facebook post, the caboose was acquired from Edaville. So, if anyone out there knows what Edaville used to have in their collection back in the day (I'd say during the "old era" - pre-1993), that would refine the search considerably.
 #1571124  by Safetee

the person who purchased a ton of guilfords cabooses, mec and bm, stored them down on the south side of the mass portion of the canaan secondary. i believe that the edaville bought a couple of them prior to jon deli taking over.
 #1571128  by jwhite07

There are a number of photos on NERail (one such here) showing a line of standard gauge cabooses. The orange/red one with yellow ends seems to be of the same type as the caboose now at Framingham. Still no closer to identifying the heritage of the car thanks to the generic paint job, but it seems likely this may be the same car as there was only one of that type in the lineup.