Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1564348  by Bracdude181

Forgot to mention.

When they brought 6160 in they took 4452 out.

So the current roster is now:

CSX 4405, 4429, and 6160 (2 Ex Conrail and one Ex Chessie)
 #1564396  by Tanker1497

I try to take a ride by Cross St. Whitesville Rd and Lakehurst everyday. It still seems that the brush clearing that took place was only fron Lakehurst east to Whitesville Rd. The portion from Whitesville to Cross St. while is may appear cleared it still has scrub pines in the grade as you get closer to the run around?
I'm always looking to catch a crew riding the rails doing something...
 #1564400  by Bracdude181

&Tanker1497 I’ve been hearing that the work actually was for the power lines. However, I know why Conrail gave them permission to cut along the tracks. Them doing that saves Conrail most of the trouble when they eventually reopen the line. They will still need a special machine to rip the stumps out of the ballast once work starts up, but aside from that Conrail now only has to pay for tree removal from Whitesville to Cross Street.
 #1564438  by Ken W2KB

Bracdude181 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:20 am &Tanker1497 I’ve been hearing that the work actually was for the power lines. However, I know why Conrail gave them permission to cut along the tracks. Them doing that saves Conrail most of the trouble when they eventually reopen the line. They will still need a special machine to rip the stumps out of the ballast once work starts up, but aside from that Conrail now only has to pay for tree removal from Whitesville to Cross Street.
Most likely the electric lines are on Conrail property by way of easement which requires that Conrail be notified before entering the property. No "permission" is needed, but typically on active rail lines the notice and easement requires that the electric utility company pay for one or more railroad employee flaggers in communication with railroad dispatchers for safety reasons. For out of service lines the railroad must be notified, and will respond that no flaggers are needed.
 #1564454  by Bracdude181

@Ken W2KB I suppose that makes sense provided the poles are on Conrail property. Typically anything within 25 feet of the either the tracks center or the edge of a tie (forgot which one) is considered railroad property. There are exceptions to this though.

To just cut around the poles, I don’t see why they would need Conrails permission. They do however, need permission if the trees along the track are in the way.

Either way, we will have to wait and see if anything else comes of this.
 #1564490  by Tanker1497

ImageI guess no one noticed that the route 72railroad bridge was sand blasted and painted, and they are were working on the abutments. In the same post I saw the Clayton was sold?
Screen shot:
Photo Credit goes to Steven Wayne Applegate
 #1564511  by R&DB

Tanker1497 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:52 pm ImageI guess no one noticed that the route 72railroad bridge was sand blasted and painted, and they are were working on the abutments. In the same post I saw the Clayton was sold?
Screen shot:
Tanker, when did this occur? What post are you referring to that states Clayton sold and what is/was sold?
 #1564523  by JohnFromJersey

R&DB wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:05 pm
Tanker1497 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:52 pm ImageI guess no one noticed that the route 72railroad bridge was sand blasted and painted, and they are were working on the abutments. In the same post I saw the Clayton was sold?
Screen shot:
Tanker, when did this occur? What post are you referring to that states Clayton sold and what is/was sold?
Can anyone get a source on the picture and/or Clayton being sold? If they're doing work to the bridge, it could either be simple cosmetic work, or C&D could be planning on reopening the whole Southern Division. I could believe the latter since the bridge from Rt 72 isn't too far from Clayton. Either or, big news.
 #1564530  by Tanker1497

The post I saw was only a few minutes old and had a few coments. Its now says it was painted because it had Trump graffiti and that was just not able to be left in public view?
Quote:
"John Hopkins
Bruce Owen while the line was rehabbed from Lakehurst to Woodmansie, Conrail has embargoed the line south of South Lakewood Station, and the line is no longer connected just north of Rt 70. As Clayton's has been sold recently, it's anyone's guess what the future of the line is!"
 #1564531  by Tanker1497

I was on North Colonial Dr. Machcester by the run around and ran in to a Rail Company 30 feet from the track?
The do lots of thermite welding, griding, testing. If I read correctly they just got a building permit for a silo for magnesium. Looks from pictures they have an old siding? Here's the page about half way down.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/196783112759
 #1564568  by Ken W2KB

Bracdude181 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:09 pm @Ken W2KB I suppose that makes sense provided the poles are on Conrail property. Typically anything within 25 feet of the either the tracks center or the edge of a tie (forgot which one) is considered railroad property. There are exceptions to this though.

To just cut around the poles, I don’t see why they would need Conrails permission. They do however, need permission if the trees along the track are in the way.

Either way, we will have to wait and see if anything else comes of this.
I checked the records, and the JCP&L electric line is on Conrail property. Although not the grant for this specific electric line, I have read over the years at least a dozen or so electric and gas utility easement deed grants conveyed by railroads and none required permission as such from the railroad to do maintenance on the lines. The easements grant the right to the utility to enter and perform inspections and work on the railroad property, subject only to prior notification to the railroad. The provisions governed entry anywhere on railroad property, not just in close proximity to the tracks, and typically required around a 10 day prior notice for routine work, and the railroad could not deny entry at the end of that 10 day period. If the tracks were active the railroad could legally require that the utility pay the reasonable cost of one or more railroad employee flaggers during hours the utility work was performed. If emergency utility repairs were required, the railroad had to grant access as soon as reasonably practicable, which would generally be at most several hours to get flaggers to the job site. So unless the grant by Conrail or its predecessor railroads owning this trackage had some highly unusual language in the deed conveying the easement to JCP&L, Conrail cannot deny entry if proper advance notice is given by the utility.
 #1564583  by Bracdude181

Interesting to see repairs being done to that bridge.

So far, there hasn’t been any confirmation of a plan to reopen the entire Southern Secondary. I have however, been hearing rumors that CSX is interested reopening the line at least as far as Winslow Junction. So far nothing has come of that. If Chesapeake and Delaware is indeed taking over, I haven’t heard anything on them wanting to reopen the whole thing. It seems they were (or are) interested in just taking over the locals out of Browns yard.

Just on the ROW south of Clayton, I did notice fresh orange paint on the rails at the former Route 206 crossing back in December...