Railroad Forums 

• Penn Station Central Control

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1564227  by amtrakhogger

PSCC controls NY Terminal, Harold to Bergen and to Empire.
 #1564371  by Erie-Lackawanna

amtrakhogger wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:54 am PSCC controls NY Terminal, Harold to Bergen and to Empire.
Well, strictly speaking, that’s mostly true; PSCC actually controls past HAROLD to GATE (inclusive). But several CETC desks are in the same room, and they control from the eastern limits of HOLMES to BERGEN; from GATE (exclusive) to CP 216 (exclusive); and on the Empire line, from EMPIRE (exclusive) to CP 12 (exclusive); and the upper Hudson from CP 75 (exclusive) to CP 169 (exclusive). A casual observer looking at that picture couldn’t tell the difference between a “PSCC” desk and a “CETC” desk.

Jim
 #1564374  by amtrakhogger

I was just being specific as if he was inquiring about the desks themselves rather than the office as a whole.
 #1564379  by RRspatch

In regard to CETC -vs- PSCC they are actually two separate systems. Back when PSCC was being planned the LIRR and NJT, which jointly funded it, wanted nothing to do with the original CETC (Chrysler Defense Electronics) system and insisted on a stand alone system. Yes, the original CETC system was THAT bad. Amtrak has since replaced the original Chrysler system with a much newer computer dispatching system. In May of 2013 I visited the Wilmington office and the new system looked very much like the system I was using at BNSF. I have to assume however that there are still two systems that at least talk (hand off trains) to each other.
 #1564411  by STrRedWolf

Well... You got connections to NEC South-of-NYP, the Empire connection, LIRR, and Metro-North via Hellgate... and the Sunnyside yard. It's possible to do it all from any place, but radio communications without a back-haul favor local areas. So PSCC coordinating hand-offs to newer CETC/LIRR/Metro-North? Sounds about right.

I bet there's even a desk or two at Grand Central for Metro-North to coordinate with PSCC.
 #1564502  by Erie-Lackawanna

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:59 am I bet there's even a desk or two at Grand Central for Metro-North to coordinate with PSCC.
I believe MNR has a CETC Section A view-only terminal in its Operations Control Center, and I know that MNR’s dispatching system sees occupancy just east of Pelham Bay, and north of Inwood (I had an MNR view-only terminal in my office and I could see Amtrak as they approached CP 12 and CP 216).
 #1571695  by OportRailfan

Erie-Lackawanna wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:57 pm
STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:59 am I bet there's even a desk or two at Grand Central for Metro-North to coordinate with PSCC.
I believe MNR has a CETC Section A view-only terminal in its Operations Control Center, and I know that MNR’s dispatching system sees occupancy just east of Pelham Bay, and north of Inwood (I had an MNR view-only terminal in my office and I could see Amtrak as they approached CP 12 and CP 216).
Likewise, CETC/PSCC can see some of NJT, Conrail, and MNRR/LIRR's territory See: CRSA - The East Leg/"O" track at Lincoln, CETC9 - down to WOOD on the coast line, Section A - Kearny Jct on the M&E, just North of Manor to CP216, PSCC out to Woodside(?) on the main line east of Harold, Hudson Line Dspr. - the circuit between CP12 and Inwood, etc.
 #1571751  by west point

I am confused. Does Amtrak own from Gate to Shell ( New Rochelle ) . Wouldn't they also dispatch that line and need views of MNRR east and west of Shell ?
 #1571752  by west point

If the Harold intersection separation project ever gets complete will Amtrak still need to see out to Woodside ? And will its Harold separation be able to dispatch the line from NYPS out to Gate and route the LIRR to its Harold intersection and dispatching ?
 #1605404  by OportRailfan

west point wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:20 pm I am confused. Does Amtrak own from Gate to Shell ( New Rochelle ) . Wouldn't they also dispatch that line and need views of MNRR east and west of Shell ?
Amtrak owns and dispatches GATE to MANOR/the division post. They only care about the first block east of Manor where NEC trains get on/off the Hellgate line.
 #1605405  by OportRailfan

west point wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:27 pm If the Harold intersection separation project ever gets complete will Amtrak still need to see out to Woodside ? And will its Harold separation be able to dispatch the line from NYPS out to Gate and route the LIRR to its Harold intersection and dispatching ?
Yes the eastbound reroute and westbound bypass are still moving forward as part of East Side Access. Yes, they'll still need to see out to Woodside as PSCC is jointly dispatched by Amtrak and LIRR dispatchers. Nothing will really change there, operations-wise.
 #1605409  by STrRedWolf

OportRailfan wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:39 am Yes the eastbound reroute and westbound bypass are still moving forward as part of East Side Access. Yes, they'll still need to see out to Woodside as PSCC is jointly dispatched by Amtrak and LIRR dispatchers. Nothing will really change there, operations-wise.
I thought PSCC was dispatched by Amtrak, LIRR, and NJT taking turns every week or so.
 #1605410  by OportRailfan

STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:59 am
OportRailfan wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:39 am Yes the eastbound reroute and westbound bypass are still moving forward as part of East Side Access. Yes, they'll still need to see out to Woodside as PSCC is jointly dispatched by Amtrak and LIRR dispatchers. Nothing will really change there, operations-wise.
I thought PSCC was dispatched by Amtrak, LIRR, and NJT taking turns every week or so.
NJT has some representation there, but they are not part of the Joint-Venture. They opted out of things in the 1990's (PSCC's inception) so everything is ran by LIRR and Amtrak.
 #1605420  by MACTRAXX

OR and RW: I recall learning that Amtrak and the LIRR share PSCC in six-month increments...
Interesting that NJT is for the most part not involved with the PSCC operations...MACTRAXX